Monday, November 9, 2009

A Small Gem From Potty Training

Yeah, we are still working on potty training. We aren't getting very far either. With a kid like Michael I'm really not that surprised.

Michael is physically ready to potty train. He does have the physical control needed. He can remove his pants. He knows the sensations. I mean, he is 3.5 years old, and most kids his age do have the physical abilities needed to potty train.

What Michael lacks is the emotional readiness. Right now, he's going through a very insecure phase. The binky, which he was doing well without, is now firmly back in the picture. The night waking, which he abandoned at 15 months, is back full force. He's progressing so quickly cognitively that I think he's clinging to being babyish as a way to handle all of the changes.

I'm fine with that, but it does get a little frustrating. We encourage potty training and try to direct him to using the potty throughout the day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When he's ready, he'll be ready.

Saturday was a pretty good day for the potty. We were able to convince him to use the potty all morning long. When Michael does use the potty he insists on using the big potty. We have to remove his pants and pull up so that he can climb on up and balance precariously over the bowl. It's pretty funny to watch.

One time, after he climbed off the potty he started to play with the toilet paper. I was expecting him to just start unwinding the entire roll, but instead he tore off a strip about 10 inches long. He reached back, tucked it between his little butt cheeks, and then turned and wiggled his butt at me. "Look mommy, I have a tail."

It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It just goes to show that potty training doesn't completely suck. Instead, it just mostly sucks.

6 comments:

windycityvegan said...

We're still working on potty training, too. Nina is just a few weeks from turning 3 and started displaying signs of readiness when she was 18 months old. It's been very hit or miss, though, so we're in a perpetual state of being encouragement. Even with the cloth diapers, (we were told CD kids practically potty train themselves), she just doesn't want to do it more than a couple of times a day. This weekend at the zoo she asked to use the toilet and her diaper was dry - I don't want to get my hopes up, but I think she is finally ready. Btw, I wish I had your attitude, but I just flat out HATE POTTY TRAINING!

Mel said...

First of all, I am STILL giggling about his tail! (wipes laugh tears from my eyes);)

The binky is back?? Must be a common insecure age, because Analese has abandoned sleeping in her own bed. She is sleeping in the crib next to my bed every night now and Mariele just sleeps right next to me. Sigh........ I am not pushing it. She will go back to her room when she is ready.

At least you are making some headway with the PT!

Maria said...

I totally thought from the title it was going to be a picture of a poop. I guess that shows how mature I am.

Beth said...

LOL at Maria's comment. Laughing even harder at the tail. Leave it to you to find a positive in the hell that is PTing!

Stacey said...

What's with the 3.5 year olds and the night waking? Ugh!

That story is super cute. I'm guessing the complete potty training will happen soon enough. You just need to give up hope first.

Megan said...

Potty training is just HARD. I don't care when it happens or how. It is messy and gross and frustrating. The tail thing? That rocks! That DOES make it better!