Monday, November 30, 2009

A Thanksgiving to Remember

The past few Thanksgivings have been a little crazy. My sister, who traditionally hosts Thanksgiving has been in the middle of redecorating/moving/house building for the past several years so things have been pretty unsettled. The food is always good, but the location has been different each year. This year, her house is finally in living condition and we enjoyed what I hope is the first of many Thanksgivings to be held there. (If they sell this house within the next five years, my sister and her fiance should be committed.)

The food was wonderful. My sister prepares the entire meal herself and it is a masterpiece. Everything was delicious, from the sage turkey gravy to the pecan and cream cheese pie. I ate so much I made myself sick.

I'd do it again if I had the chance.

I was wrong when I predicted that Michael would only eat pumpkin pie and whipped cream. This year he refused the pie too and only ate the whipped cream. This kid has no idea what he's missing out on. My sister's sausage stuffing is to die for. Oh well, that just left more for me to eat.

And, eat it I did.

Michael enjoyed seeing the family and getting attention heaped onto him. But, I don't think he really got the idea of what being thankful means. I'm not much for the touchy-feely stuff, but I do think Michael should grow up respecting the fact that he has a very good life and is surrounded by people who love him very much. He's too young to fully grasp that now, but I think it's important to set examples from an early age. So, in between dinner and dessert I talked with him about being thankful and what I'm thankful for. I went around the room and told him why I was thankful for each person there. I thought it was a very sweet and important moment.

My family, on the other hand, suggested that maybe I'd had a few too many drinks. Considering I had only had half a glass of wine and my comments were along the lines of "I'm thankful for Uncle Eric because he kept Aunt Bubbles from killing me when we were kids," I think my show of emotions made a few people feel a little uncomfortable. Oh well, that's their problem, not mine. I love my family and I don't care if they can handle that or not.

Don't worry. I didn't torture them for too long. We were back to playing fart noises on our smart phones in just a few minutes. Serious just doesn't hold up well at family gatherings.

Michael behaved very well through about 45 minutes of the meal. That's longer than I expected. When he did start to fidget and complain, I let him out of his chair to do as he pleased. My sister has two beagles, so her house is more child proof than my house is. I figured he was safe on his own.

It didn't take long before he had joined the dog pack. At one point I glanced under the table and Michael, Duke and Squeak were all dog piled on each other. It was very cute.

The dog play continued even after the meal was over. I'm very glad my sister's dogs are very tolerant because Michael got about as in their space as possible.

It started like this.


Photobucket

No, I don't know what happened to Michael's pants. 3.5 year olds and clothes don't seem to mix.


Laying next to the dogs wasn't good enough, so Michael decided to give the dog bed a try.

Photobucket

Things are going well, so he takes things further.

Photobucket

About here is where I expected things to go wrong, but I guess the dogs just figured Michael was one more puppy.

Photobucket

It makes me wonder, do you think getting some beagals might help him with not wanting to go to bed?

Come to think of it, the beagles cause my sister more problems than Michael's bed time stalling. Scratch that idea.

11 comments:

LauraC said...

They really talked it up at day care this year, explaining Thanksgiving and being thankful and what it means. We asked the boys what they were thankful for. They were both thankful for mashed potatoes.

Then when the dessert came out, Nate was thankful for tiramisu.

You can't make this stuff up!

Maria said...

Glad you had such a nice thanksgiving! You should definitely get a dog, they are so worth the trouble...well, most of the time, not so much tonight when Luke stole an uncooked soggy calzone out of the trash and then proceeded to puke it up on my only rug...but most of the time, totally worth it!

Steph said...

Your feast sounds so yummy! Cooper, like Michael, opted out of any of the Thanksgiving food we prepared too. Maybe some year he will participate and eat the meal too!

JenFen said...

That run of pictures was great - how cute Michael is as part of the pack.

Beth said...

OMG--those pictures are hysterical! My boys didn't touch Thanksgiving dinner, either. Although I guess William did eat one or two bites of turkey. So I can't complain. And 45 minutes of peace at the table--that's just downright dreamy!

Mary Lou said...

Enjoy reading your blog... I stumbled on it from your November 24th post of 2008!! I did a Google Image search of (((shudder))) camel crickets and found your blog. OMG I laughed so HARD! Within the past week I have noticed them in our basement.. first one I tried to step on jumped at me... I did not scream, which is a miracle! I do have a kick-azz fly swatter that seems to work well.. but UGH it is disgusting when the are flattened.
I signed up to follow your blog, it is fun to read.. and love the pics of your son with the beagles.. we have no childre, well let me rephrase.. we have no 2 legged kids, just 2 of the 4 legged variety. 2 dogs that are our kids!

Susan said...

LOL - super cute pics of Michael and the beagles. We have one beagle and one 90 lb mutt that both love each other - they would have been very tolerant of Michael and probably invited him to nap with them :) Cute.

Deanna said...

The dogs' bed looks comfier than my couch!

Glad ya'll had a good Thanksgiving! Those are priceless photos of M.!

Stacey said...

I have to disagree with the previous comment. Dogs are totally NOT worth it.

Heidi O said...

It goes both ways. The dogs probably thought they were kids! At least that is my dog. Those photos are great.

Carrie77 said...

Love the photos... amazing how he fits right in with them? So precious!