Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Balancing Act Update

Back in September I blogged about trying to realign all the conflicting priorities in my life. I was very stressed out, and I knew a large part of it had to do with my mom's surgery and the need to provide daycare for Michael while she was recovering. I decided to focus on that issue first and then try to deal with the other issues.

One of my other issues was exercise. I really enjoy exercising. I also need to exercise for health reasons. So, exercise has remained on the top of my list. Unfortunately, I allowed my stress levels over my mom's surgery to effect my eating and exercise routine. Now, if I want to gain control of some major muffin top, I need to move exercise even higher up my list of priorities.

I really enjoyed running this summer and I wanted to continue running over the winter. However, due to the weather around here that would either require investing in a gym membership or investing in cold weather running clothes. I really needed to be honest with myself. Was I going to go to a gym and run on a treadmill in front of other people? No. Was I going to run in 30 degree weather? No.

Andy and I discussed buying a treadmill. We both want one and we would both use it. However, we just don't have space for it. So I decided to replace my existing recumbent exercise bike with a computerized Schwinn upright bike. I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm getting a much better workout on it than I was on the old bike. It has a cross training program that involves interval training that is just kicking my butt...in a good way. As a bonus, it takes up less room than the old bike so we have freed up some space in our basement.

I really did enjoy running and I will pick it back up in the spring. In the mean time, I've asked Santa to bring me a heart rate monitor and I'm going to work on increasing my endurance and recovery time so that I can get off to a good start in the spring. We'll see how that goes.

In the mean time, I've sworn off red wine until my pants are comfortable again. So, not only have I gotten back to my normal exercise routine, I also have that extra incentive to avoid eating too much. All I have to do is ask myself, "Do I want those pretzels or do I want a glass of red wine?"

Hmm...I'm not sure what that says about me.

5 comments:

Deanna said...

It says wine is a good motivator! And it's good for your heart! And it's good for your nerves...and it's good for your disposition...and it's good - oh wait...that's my disposition that improves with wine...hmmmm...

I've added an 8-10 minute quick routine in the morning and have seen some quick results in two weeks. 30 reps of an ab exercise, 20-30 pushups, 30 lunges, and 30 squats...and then chug down a big glass of water while trying to stand on two very wobbly legs.

Mel said...

We have a treadmill, and pathetically I have not been using it because it is BORING! If we would hook up a TV in there, I think I would use it. I used it in Denver because we had the thing in front of a TV. I know that is probably the saddest and most pathetic excuse for lack of exercise that you have ever heard. But seriously, treadmills are great, but BOOOORING if you do not have scenery in the form of TV to look at.

LauraC said...

I have to ditto Mel on the tv/treadmill thing. Nothing keeps me on the treadmill longer than a good tv show.

Although I have committed this winter to running outside as much as possible. I ran outside in Chicago ALL WINTER and NC rarely gets below 30.

Mama Mia said...

So you can have White wine, right??
Can I see a pic of your new bike?? I would LOVE to get one..I run on the treadmill everyday, but once we move I wont have it since it's my parents...

Karen said...

We are thinking about getting a Wii Fit for Christmas to get me to exercise. I have lost weight but fear that it will return as soon as I wean Katie.