Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bark, Bark

I had a whole big post planned for today. It was going to have pictures and everything. But, I'll be honest, I'm just not up to it today.

Last week Michael developed a nighttime cough. That happens sometimes because he sleeps face down with his blanket and pillow pulled over his head. However, by the weekend the cough was bad enough that he was waking up gagging. I was on the receiving end of his gagging one night, so I was sure that this was more than just his normal stuffy air cough.

The thing is, he seemed other wise fine. He wasn't coughing during the day. No runny nose. No fever. Just a random dry cough at night. The only other problem he was having was rough morning wake-up that lead to some amazingly horrible morning drop offs with my mom. (By horrible I mean carrying him, kicking and screaming, into the building and placing him in the elevator, then pressing the 6 button while my mom restrained him.)

This went on long enough that I purchased a cool mist humidifier to see if that would help. It did. His dry cough because a moist, croupy sounding cough. I could hear him coughing on and off all night. In the morning he would be tired, but otherwise fine. I was starting to think maybe there was something in his room that was irritating his throat when I started to get the tickle in the back of my throat. At least it let me know that whatever was causing the problem was a contagious illness and not an environmental trigger.

Last night he did pretty well. He coughed a little right after I put him to bed, but he was so quite that I actually went in and checked on him before I went to bed. He was breathing peacefully.

I laid down and immediately started coughing. I was afraid that my coughing was going to wake Andy or Michael, so I kept trying to ignore the tickle in my throat. It didn't work. I knew that if I could just fall asleep, I'd be fine. But, my mind was churning over all of the five billion things I need to do in the next week. Finally, about half an hour later I started drifting off.

"Bark, bark, bark."

I popped awake. What on earth? I swear, there was a seal barking in Michael's room. Andy heard it too, so I was pretty sure I wasn't going crazy.

"Bark, bark, bark."

So, I got out of bed and went to check on Michael. I've heard the term barking cough before, but I've never actually heard one before. It's really strange to watching a child cough and hear a bark come out. It's also very concerning.

I woke Michael up, gave him some water and got him settled back in bed. He was tired enough that he fell back to sleep without the pillow or blanket over his face. He didn't make a peep for the rest of the night.

Me? I couldn't fall asleep. My throat tickled, I wanted to cough but didn't want to wake anyone, and in addition to all of the billions of things running through my mind I was also listening to hear if Michael started barking again.

Michael woke up in a good mood and has been having a great time at my mom's. I've been tired, cranky, and coughing all day long. I'm pooped. All I want to do is go home and curl up in bed, which we know won't happen. Instead, I going to work on some of those billion things I need to get done and fall into bed exhausted way latter than I want. And then, I'm not going to be able to fall asleep for coughing.

So, that's why you are getting a whiny, cranky post today instead of a good one with lots of pictures.

7 comments:

LauraC said...

Dude all I did was read "Bark bark" and my first thought was "Michael has croup." And the reason I thought that was one of my friends' kids had croup last week and I stupidly said out loud croup was the only illness N&A have not had.

Good news is that I don't think adults can develop croup.

LauraC said...

Damn I never said - sorry to hear you are both sick so close to the holidays. Sucks.

Heidi O said...

I feel for you. We have been dealing with lots of coughing. I hope it eases for both of you. I am a big fan of vicks.

Julie said...

We are all sick too (even the baby), but we are definitely not barking. Poor little dude and mama too. It stinks to be sick! The tickle is maddening when you are trying to sleep--sometimes I will wrap a blanket around my neck (not too tight!) and the warmth or pressure seems to help settle the tickle. Or maybe its just the lack of oxygen to my brain--either way, I hope you both feel better soon.

Deanna said...

Croup is generally caused by a virus according to our pediatrician, but I find it really odd that it seems to clear up with antibiotics when it's been associated with an ear infection that went respiratory.

Cool mist humidfier is the best. If K goes too long with the barky cough, then he gets wheezy and we have to use an inhaler...and have used steroids a few times.

That totally sucks to be sick around the holidays - I hope M is completely over it and that your immune system kicks it out quickly!

Karla said...

Yikes! Barking is definitely not something a child should be doing in their sleep! I am hoping that Michael does/feels better tonight and that you can get a good night's sleep.

JenFen said...

Hope you feel better soon - I hate it when kids get croup. And I hear ya on the billion things to do. It's that time of year. Good Luck!