Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The calm before the storm?

Have you ever noticed that when you have been getting by on just a few hours sleep, when you finally do get a good night's sleep you feel even more tired the next day? That seems to be my problem today.

I was pretty stressed out by the time I left work yesterday. I tend to try and come up with every possible solution to a problem, even though it's not always necessary. When I do that with multiple problems - like a car that won't start, a sick kid, a ton of cookies to make in a short period of time, an entire Christmas dinner to plan and prepare - I tend to wear myself out. I really wish I could just shut my brain off for an hour and zone out, but instead I just keep going over my plans trying to figure out how to make everything work as smoothly as possible. It means I normally pull everything off, but I'm exhausted by the time everything is over.

I had really hit a wall yesterday. I dropped off my mom's car and then Andy came over to pick Michael and me up. As soon as Michael got outside he dove right into the snow. All I wanted to do was go home, but instead both Andy and I had to chase Michael down and fight him into the car. He was in the back seat crying while Andy was grumbling about something and my head was spinning when I heard a little chiming sound.

What are those bells? Why are they coming from my butt? Oh, someone sent me a text. I pulled out my phone and saw "Girl" I started cheering and giggling with excitement. Of course Andy and Michael had no idea what was going on, so it pretty much stopped them both mid-grumble. I had to explain that London is having a girl. By the time I had gotten through my whole "London is my blog friend, but I've meet her in real life, so she's like totally a real life friend too, and she's pregnant and we've all been guessing if it's a girl or a boy, and I really wanted it to be a girl, and it's a girl, and OMG SQUEE!" routine, I think both Michael and Andy completely forgot that they were grumpy and were instead wondering if I was insane.

Whatever. The distraction worked. Not only did it perk me up, but it seemed to infect all of us. By the time we got home, I didn't even care when Michael decided to dive into the snow instead going into the house. We let him play a bit, and then settled down for a nice evening.

The big news for me was that my car started. I'm still a little suspicious as to why it didn't start, but so far it's working. Let's just hope it stays that way.

The next thing that went well were the black and white cookies I made. They were a lot of work, but they are really yummy and pretty. Success!

The really big thing was Michael though. He's still coughing a bit, but last night he was in a good mood and actually agreed to head up to bed. He was so tired that he almost feel asleep on me while I was reading his books. I sang to him and tucked him in, and didn't hear a peep from him all night. It was the best night of sleep he's had in over a week.

Which, lead to my best night of sleep in over a week. Wow, am I ever tired.

Today has been a lot less stressful. I've managed to collect my thoughts a bit and I think I have a good plan for the next few days. I'm sure it's only temporary as I plan to kick into full gear tomorrow, but for the moment I'll be calm and take the chance to breathe.

I'll worry about the potential ice storm on Christmas day tomorrow.

5 comments:

LauraC said...

This is the first year I am not stressing over the holidays bc I planned TOO FAR in advance.

In fact tonight we are going to see Avatar in 3D!!!

London said...

Awww I'm glad I texted you! Actually it was LauraC's nagging that prompted me to send out a few texts, so you can thank her!

Karla said...

Phew! I am tired just from reading all of that! And yay for London!!

JenFen said...

I thought I planned really far in advance, but I still ended up scrambling a little to get everything done - However, I am not willing to start thinking about Christmas any earlier than the beginning of October. I draw the line there.

Anyway, I am glad Michael's cough is getting better, the cookies came out good, that you got a good night sleep and everything is coming together. I am also glad a blog/real life friend could put a smile on your face with her super exciting news.

JenFen said...

Oh and also, thanks for the super sweet comments about my kids from my latest blog post. That really made my day. If you only knew how many pictures I take to get the ones I post on the blog : )

Can't wait to hear how your Christmas dinner turns out!