Monday, December 21, 2009

Tis the Season...

...To be cranky?

I think I have a right to be cranky. Michael has been sick, I'm still sick, Andy is getting sick. Mother nature seemed to forget that it wasn't winter yet and dumped 10 inches of snow on us this weekend. It's COLD! Between my coughing and Michael being afraid of the dark, I was up at least five times last night. I'm tired! Oh, and the icing on the cake? I went out to start the cars up this morning and mine wouldn't start. It's dead!

But you know what? Despite all of this, I think I'm a bit jolly anyway.

First thing, the snow. We got lucky. We only got 10 inches. 15 minutes down the road, and it was 20+ inches. It was light and fluffy and easy to clean off the cars. It was a weekend, so it didn't keep us from doing anything. And oh my word is it beautiful. Once the sun came out, it is crisp and clear and about as Christmasy as you can get.

Michael had a blast playing in it. On Saturday he went sledding with some of the other little ones in the neighborhood. When he finally came in his cheeks were bright pink and he was smiling from ear to ear. He looked like a rosy little elf. Yesterday he got to go out twice. Multiple mitten and boot failures failed to slow him down. For a 3 year old, it really is a winter wonderland.

Next, the cookies. I've been baking cookies. And banana bread. And Pioneer Woman buttered rosemary rolls. The house smells heavenly and my tummy is full. I'll worry about the side effects when I make my New Year's resolutions.

Finally, it's Christmas! I keep thinking back on how exciting this season was when I was little. The food, the fun, the family. This year, Michael is really getting into the spirit and it is so much fun to see the excitement again through his eyes. Such simple little things are so much fun for him. Last night I let him have chocolate chip cookies and milk for dinner. He had chocolate all over his face, and milk spilled down his chest, and the biggest smile you have ever seen.

So, while I wonder about what's wrong with my car and how much it's going to cost to fix, I'm also anticipating Michael's face when he comes down on Christmas morning and finds the presents piled under the tree. I think about how much work I have to get done in the next few days, but then I think about my family sitting around the table on Christmas night with our bellies full and laughter ringing through the house.

On this, the longest night of the year, I can really see how wonderful it is to celebrate at this time of the year. It cold, it's dark, and things can be rough. Being surrounded by love and laughter is the perfect way to pass the day.

So yes, I am just a little bit jolly.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Sounds like you have the holiday spirit for sure! Michael's dinner sounds heavenly!

DesiDVM said...

This year has by far been our worst cold and flu season ever. Despite H1N1 vaccines.

I'm loving Christmas this year, too. I can tell that this is the first time J "gets" it, and I'm almost as excited about Christmas morning as he is.

Ah, snow. When we left Colorado, I was kind of sick of snow. Now I miss it, I long to have a snowy morning, I feel like my kids are deprived without it. The grass is always greener...

LauraC said...

And to think you might never had had children! You're such a great mom, I can't imagine you without Michael!

Enjoy the holiday!

Stacey said...

Thanks for the reminder to stop and enjoy the fun and wonder of the Christmas season.

I don't have sickness or snow or car problems and yet I have been a tremendous grouch.

As usual, Michael is so lucky to have you.

London said...

We got your Christmas card yesterday! Elijah always loves looking at pictures of other kids. (Sorry I was to cheap this year to send out cards, lol!) Anyway, I was showing it to the Professor and explaining who it was from. He asked me about Michael and I said,"Well, I think he's a bit of a handful, but I'm pretty sure he's one of those kids who turns out to be a genius as an adult!" He thought that was pretty funny.

Karen said...

I am going through this same thing. And of course, Todd said that I wasn't that stressed this year, which I think made me stressed.