Monday, January 11, 2010

500 in 2010

I know most of my readers probably already know that I've joined Laura C's 500 miles in 2010 challenge. I'm not planning on discussing my performance on here on a regular basis, but I did want to do a kick off post about it.

I debated joining the challenge at first because much of my exercise is done on an exercise bike. Laura suggested some conversion factors to convert bike miles into challenge miles, which made the challenge realistic for me. There was some debate over the best conversion factor, and I believe they went with 3.5 bike miles to 1 challenge mile. I'm going with 4 bike miles to 1 challenge mile because it feels like a reasonable comparison based on the way I work out. It may keep me off the top ten list, but it will motivate me more, and that's what I'm looking for.

My goal is to do 500 miles combined on the bike, on the elliptical, walking, or running. I need to average about 10 miles a week to reach my goal. I expect to log between about 10 to 14 miles a week through the rest of the winter. Then I expect to drop down a bit when the weather warms up and I start running again. I want to have a sufficient mileage cushion in place when I start running so I will not be tempted to quit running if I can't make the 10 miles a week. It's just easier to log miles on the bike than on foot.

I'm really looking forward to this challenge. I've been exercising regularly for about 10 years now, and I'm always looking for ways to make it more challenging and more exciting. I really like this goal because it's not based on weight loss - which has other contributing factors (stupid potato chips, pizza, pretzels, red wine...) - it's based on maintaining an exercising routine over an extended period of time. It should also add some fresh motivation to get me going, as I love friendly competition.

(As for a certain pregnant woman who beat me by over 3 miles this week, you are more than 10 years younger than me. As for a certain runner who beat me by about 8 miles...um...well...I got nothing.)

So, if at anytime I start going on about 500 in 2010 now you will at least understand what insanity I'm referring too. For now, I'll just leave you with my metrics for tracking my progress.


Photobucket

That's probably too small to read easily. Let's just say the blue line is where I am and the pink line is where I'm heading. Ouch.

9 comments:

Karla said...

Sounds like good motivation for you. (Me, well, I don't commit to anything because I don't want to to let myself down. Nice, huh? lol)

I love your graphic! Are you going to show us that periodically to keep us updated?

Steph said...

You can do it Joanna! I have not joined in, I am just not sure I can get 500 with a new baby and a preschooler and work, etc.

LauraC said...

Oh Joanna, I heart you in so many different ways. Chart? Love. Easier to log miles on a bike than running? Love.

My friend Kim said she felt at a disadvantage bc I can just go out there and run 5 miles really fast while she is walking. I was like "BUT I HAVE TO RUN 5 MILES! I can walk 5 miles whenever bizzo."

People never like it when I call them bizzo.

JenFen said...

I said the same thing as Laura's friend about how it is faster to run more miles than walk and my husband said the same thing as Laura did, that running is just harder plain and simple. Okay so I get that BUT it takes a significantly larger chunk of my day to rack up mileage when I am only walking and as all of us busy moms know, time is a commodity not easy to come by.

Oh, but did I have a point relative to your post. Why yes, I believe I did - first I can understand why biking might be easier simply because of the time factor. Secondly, I agree the motivation and friendly competition is a welcome advantage to our exercise routines. Thirdly I concur with your closing comments about pregnant ladies logging 18 miles and a certain someone else whose name starts with an L that logged nearly double what you and I did and since she is around the same age, we have got nothing on her. Just wanted to know you weren't alone on those points. Love the chart and good luck. I just want to get to the 500 even if I don't beat anyone in the process of doing it.

Deanna said...

Oh! The analytical engineering freak in me is loving the CHART!!! I *heart* excel!!

And you're making me really think this 500 in 2010 thing is something I ought to be doing. I've even gone and looked at the Walk Indoors thing that London is doing....I feel like I need legwarmers, too. *sigh* Where's my metabolism from 10 years ago?

I'll be sitting on the couch!

Beth said...

Sucker! Ha ha ha ha ha. No way am I dumb enough to think I can run 500 miles in 2010. LOL HOWEVER, don't tell anyone, but I did join the gym at my work and I did start the C25K program. Three days a week, walk-run program, until I can run for 30 minutes straight. That's my goal. We'll see how long it lasts. I've NEVER been able to stick to an exercise plan, so I greatly admire your commitment. And I'm glad the challenge of 500 in 2010 will be great motivation for you. I'm rooting for you!

DesiDVM said...

I want so badly to say I'm doing 500 in 2010, but I know from past experience that until A)I get at least 7 hours straight of sleep every night and B)I'm for the most part done w/breastfeeding, that this is not realistic for me. Hopefully I'll be able to do a couple hundred in 2010 LOL.

Maria said...

It is so oddly motivating, isn't it? I love the challenge, and I love that everyone is so competitive, in a nice way(for now) HA!

London said...

LOL! I think the competition factor really got to me last week. I didn't know how many everyone else would be able to do so I did as many as I could! And if makes you feel any better my milage will coninue to taper off as everyone else's increases. Bummer. Especially around the end of May.