Friday, January 29, 2010

Phone Photo Friday - Sanity

When Michael became obsessed with letters when he was 14 months old, I have to confess that I was proud and excited. By about 20 months I was still proud, but the excitement had died down a little. I mean, letters really aren't that interesting for six months straight. When Michael was 24 months old, I was all "Here, don't you want to play with this car?" When he switched to dinosaurs at 2.5 years, I was thrilled.

Dinosaurs are much cooler than letters. There are lots of books, movies, and pretend games that involve dinosaurs. I really enjoyed learning about carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores. The first trip to the "Dinosaur Museum" was absolutely magical. I enjoyed it almost as much as Michael did. However, after the 100th viewing of Walking With Dinosaurs, my enthusiasm had cooled a lot more than Michael's had.

And don't even get me started on having to read "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" every night for four months. Let's just say that there really can be too much of a good thing.

Michael has developed a new interest, as you can see here.


Photobucket

He is obsessed with these books, as well as the non-fiction Top Readers series. In the morning we carry them downstairs. If he's going to my mom's, they go with him. At bedtime, we carry them back up and Michael begs me to read them. "Please, please, please!" Last night I ened up reading to him for an hour! (Because he's taking 2 hour long naps at school and wasn't remotely ready for bed.)

It's interesting, much of what's in these Smithsonian books is way over Michael's head. The books are set up so one page is a full page picture, and the opposite page is several paragraphs of text. But that doesn't stop him. He still wants me to read them. Sometimes a certain part of a book will catch his interest and he'll ask me to go over it again and again. Wednesday evening we spent a while discussing several pictures showing the four chambers of the heart. He thought each chamber was a heart, not a part of it. I don't think we ever worked that one out. Last night, he stopped on pictures showing ocean temperature difference between El Nino years and regular years. He wanted to know why they called it a disaster. It's challenging to come up with answers that he can understand, but I'm enjoying myself.

I confess, part of my enthusiasm is over the topics we are dealing with. How cool is it that he's interested in the same stuff that I'm interested in?

But, you want to know the main reason I'm so excited? Variety! No more freaking "We're Going on a Bear Hunt". (Which I may have hidden.) No more "The B says Bah, the B says Bah, every letter makes a sound, the B says Bah." No more Walking With Dinosaurs. Hallelujah!

I'm sure that I'll eventually get tired of volcanoes, weather, stars, pyramids, the ocean, and such, but for now I'm going to enjoy the novelty of Michael's latest obsession.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Will you get tired of it if you're not tired of it now?

Karla said...

Variety is the spice of life. (How is that for a cliche?)