Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Quick Peek at Sweetness

Like many families these days, Andy and I both have complex family situations. Both sets of parents have been divorced for a long time, which always makes for interesting holidays. My parents are pretty good with one another, so they both come to Christmas dinner, but it gets a little more complicated with Andy's parents. His father works shift work, so even if he wanted to come to dinner, most of the time he is scheduled to work on Christmas.

For the most part, I like this. It provides more opportunities for parties and eating yummy food.

This year we got together with Andy's father, his sister, and her husband on New Years day. It was just a small dinner and we exchanged a few gifts. I really enjoyed myself. It's a nice treat to not have to cook.

One thing I didn't expect was that Andy's cousin would be there. She has moved in (her parents are in the middle of a divorce) so obviously she would be there for dinner. If I had known this, I would have gotten her a gift, but it was a bit of a surprise.

I don't know how Michael made the connection, maybe because we talked a lot about Andy's grandmother, but Michael ended up calling Andy's cousin "Grandmania". That's what everyone calls his grandmother. I must confess that it's really funny hearing someone call a 20 year old the equivalent of "grandma". We tried correcting him at first, but it was so funny that we all ended up encouraging him. The poor girl will probably end up stuck with the nick name.

Michael really seemed very aware of "grandmania". Every time she left the room, he would ask where she was going and what she was doing. I thought it was really cute. He doesn't normally pay that much attention to people. I was really impressed with how sweet he was.

What I didn't know, was that he was even sweeter than that. When we got home Andy told me that after we had exchanged gifts, Michael had pulled Andy aside and asked where "grandmania's" gift was. Michael was very upset about the apparent slight, and asked several times for a present to give to her. Not once did he ask about why he didn't get a present from her. When Andy told me that, I think my heart grew three sizes.

So, while on the surface it may seem that Michael is not the most sensitive kid out there, there is hope for him yet.

5 comments:

LauraC said...

Is there a 3 year old that is not self centered? :) I love grandmania, that is so freaking hilarious.

(My ENTIRE family reads my blogs, aunts, grandparents, parents, etc so that is why I never talk about all of this stuff.)

Maria said...

You have a very sweet boy there. Oh, and I love the name!

Julie said...

Awww! Sweet boy indeed!

Karla said...

That is precious! I love this story.

Karen said...

I think we all know that Michael is a very sweet boy underneath his contrary nature.