Monday, February 8, 2010

The (First?) Blizzard of 2010

As anyone with a TV probably knows by now, the Philadelphia region got hammered with a Nor' Easter this weekend. This is the second massive snow storm for the season, but the first for the year.

We live north west of the city, and we normally get more snow than Philadelphia gets. However, because Nor' Easters are coastal storms, we tend to get less snow that the city. For the December 19th storm, Philly got about 24+ inches of snow. We only got 10 inches. This storm dumped another 24+ inches on Philly, but this time we got almost 20 inches ourselves. 20 inches is a whole lot of snow.

I'll be honest, I love snow. I would play in the snow for hours as a kid, and this weekend proved that I can still do it as an adult. Not all of the kids in the neighborhood enjoyed the snow as much as Michael did, which you can tell by the tracks that range over our community property. They all lead back to my house.

This was a cold snow, so we opted for the puffy, multi-layered approach.

Photobucket

Hey, at least he can put his arms down! If you look closely at Michael's hands you'll see that he is wearing trouser socks with finger and thumb holes cut out. I pulled the socks all the way up his arms, and it prevented mitten failures on all three trips outside.

This photo is untouched. The sky really was that crisp and blue yesterday. It was beautiful, but once again, it was also very cold.

Photobucket

Speaking of cold, these poor Cardinals look pretty chilly. All of the birds were very puffy trying to fight the wind.


Photobucket


Michael had a blast playing in the snow. He enjoyed having me toss him in the air so he could fall, cushioned into the snow. However, he's getting heavy and I could only do that about 20 times. So, he headed over to one of the snow piles made by the plows. He climbed up one and named it Mt. Everest. (Where did kids pick that stuff up?) He was in seventh heaven as he climbed and dug and tossed snowballs at mommy.

Photobucket

He was having so much fun, he was practically bouncing! We had been out for about an hour by this time and my feet were getting really cold. That's why I look like such a sourpuss.

Photobucket

My feet finally got so cold that I had to beg Michael to head inside. He resisted as much as he could. Andy was snapping photos with my new macro/telephoto lens and caught this candid moment of Michael and I arguing over going inside.


Photobucket

The conversation went something like this...

"Michael, my feet are cold. I'm going to get frostbite. It's time to go in."

"NO!" as he ran away.

I finally managed to entice him to come in with a bribe of hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Unfortunately, by evening, Michael's next cold of the season had taken hold. He was lethargic and running a fever. Maybe I should have made him head in sooner.

Oh, and you want to know the best part of this amazing storm? Here is our forecast for tomorrow night into Wednesday.

"THERE IS A LARGE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOW FOR MUCH OF OUR AREA... BUT AT THIS TIME THE HEAVIEST SNOW MAY FALL OVER NEW JERSEY AND EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA. THERE IS ALSO A POTENTIAL FOR STRONG WINDS... ESPECIALLY NEAR THE COAST."

Which is the very same warning we had before this last storm. Yikes!

8 comments:

windycityvegan said...

It's so good to read about someone NOT complaining about snow! I would give anything for an out-and-out blizzard. Here in NC I count myself lucky that we got any snow at all these past few months.

I also use the 'socks pulled up to the elbows' approach, as well as bribes of hot chocolate when I'm too cold to stay outside with Nina.

Karen said...

Love the socks pulled up to the elbows trick. We used to put plastic bags around our feet and then put on our boots. It kept the snow from getting in to the boot and getting our feet wet!

I would love to play in the snow for just a bit and then have it vanish!

Kara said...

That's so much snow! I'm glad you all had fun with it. Hope Michael feels better fast, especially with more snow on the way.

Steph said...

Looks like he had a blast, and being so bundled up seems like that would have warded off some of the cold germs. Hope he recovers soon! I like the socks idea, that's great.

LauraC said...

Last week, I let the boys play in the yard by themselves for the first time. Because they were playing in snow and I was cold. They had so much fun they were out there for two hours in the dark.

LOVE backyards!

Julie said...

At least he can put his arms down--LOL! Great photos--I love the crisp blue sky on a really cold day, although I don't miss those really cold days. Playing in snow is so fun, the only good thing about getting a blizzard.

Mama Mia said...

Those are GREAT pics..I am dreading Wednesday!!!

Beth said...

We're right there with you! Hope Michael recovers in time to enjoy tomorrow's snow on Wednesday!