Monday, February 22, 2010

Still Itchy

Michael is still itchy. I'm not surprised, the doctor said it should take about a week for the hives to clear up. It was a little bit disturbing to see that things got worse before any improvement started.

Several commenters recommended that we try the Aveeno oatmeal bath. I had already picked some up, so I did give them a try. The bath certainly distracted Michael for a long time, but I'm not sure how soothing the oatmeal was. Michael's skin seems to respond the best to cool air. The warm bath left him pretty pink all over. I'll probably leave the rest of the packets for me. I could use a nice relaxing bath.

Friday night, Michael had a hard time sleeping. I can't blame him. By the time he got up at 6:00 am, his left eye was swollen shut and his right eye wasn't much better. I tried to get an ice pack on his eyes, but he's too stubborn for that kind of thing. The Benadryl, on the other hand, made a big difference. As long as he takes it, he looks itchy, but doesn't seem to mind the hives at all.

I really wanted to take him out for a little while on Saturday, but I didn't think other parents would appreciate seeing Michael's inflamed face over the train table at Barnes and Noble, so we stayed home and cleaned the house instead. Andy and I had a date night, so my mom got to give him his final dose of medicine for the day. He was a perfect angel for her. (He was not when she gave it to him on Friday.)

He did manage to make it through the night Saturday, but he was up at 5:45. Not the best time for me after a date night. But, that's part of being a mom. His face was still pretty swollen, but his eyes weren't as bad. He was also itchy...um...down there. Poor kid. No wonder he was up so early. I manged to get more Benadryl into him, and he was as sweet as could be all day. We went to the grocery store, played in the snow, and even made a trip to the book store. He did wonderfully.

He was also exhausted by the end of they day and crashed while I was reading him his bedtime stories. It was a really pleasant day, even with the itchies.

This morning Michael decided that he was done with the Benadryl. We tried really hard to get him to take it, but after most of it ended up on me, I decided that I'm done. He doesn't need it, it just makes him feel better. I'm not going to fight that battle, especially since he's looking better today than he has since Thursday morning. Hopefully, this is almost over and I won't have to worry about giving him medicine for at least a few days.

I wonder what will pop up next?

7 comments:

Beth said...

Glad to hear he's getting better! Hasn't he been on antibiotics before? Why the reaction now? Or was it a different antibiotic? (Just wondering if that could happen to us.) Regardless, I think you're wise to pick your battles. And I'm so glad you had a good day yesterday. Sometimes that's just what we need!

LauraC said...

MANY things could pop up next. Don't tempt fate!!!!!!!

Heidi O said...

I second Laura on the tempting fate. Don't! I hope the hives clear up soon and I am glad you all had a good weekend over all.

Steph said...

I am glad he is feeling better with or without the dose of Benadryl today :) I HOPE nothing else comes up after this!

Karla said...

Glad things seem to be clearing up for Michael. Hopefully you will get a break, for a little while anyway!

Mel said...

Seems like its always something, huh? At least he is on the mend this time.

Julie said...

I am so glad he is getting better with the rash. I once broke out in hives from an antibiotic (sulfa) and it was awful and very itchy. Poor little dude.