Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What is 3.75?

Do you have a child that is 3.75 years old? Is that child driving you insane? Mine is. But, not always. There are moments when the future 4 year old shows through,and it's brilliant and heartwarming. It's also temporary. A tease. A carrot dangling down in front of me that I never seem to reach.

But, how do you explain it to other people that aren't going through it at the moment? How do you make it clear that despite the fact that your child is wonderful and sweet, the child is also a raving maniac?

How about a few examples.

  • Michael really needed a hair cut. He's been so unpredictable lately that I've been afraid to push the issue. We had some time last night, so I tossed out a causal, "Want to get your hair cut?" Quite to my surprise he said yes, and then preceded through the entire process from getting into his car seat to looking at his belly button every time the woman asked. It was completely painless. Not a single argument. No stalling. Nothing. It was actually pleasant! The stylist even complimented me on how nice Michael was. Pure mothering gold.
  • Also last night. I asked Michael what he wanted for dinner. I gave him a choice. Dinosaur noodles, hot dog, letter tater totters. He picked the tater tots. I made the tater tots. I put the tater tots on the table. Michael threw a massive tantrum because he wanted dinosaur noodles. I refused to make him dinosaur noodles. He continued to tantrum. We sent him into the living room. 20 minutes later I warmed the tater tots in the microwave, took them into the living room, and Michael ate them as if nothing had happened.
  • A few nights ago, Michael the master staller, did a major bedtime stalling act. If it wasn't so annoying, I'd be more impressed by his ability to find a way to impede every step of the bedtime routine. "Put my socks on my hands mommy!", "I want to use the other tooth brush daddy", "You read that last page wrong mommy!". He never even said he didn't want to go to bed. He just artfully drew out every 30 second task to a minute long task. By the end, I was completely frustrated, but he was all smiles the entire time.
  • Right after the most amazing and frustrating stalling of all time, I was getting ready to lay him in bed when he leaned in and whispered, "I'm so glad I have you and daddy."
  • And of course, let's not forget the big one. "Why, why, why, why, why, why...?"
Please, please let four be a little more rational!

***************
On a different note, we are forecast to get 6-12 inches of snow tomorrow. We have already had record snowfall this year. Mother Nature is just show boating at this point. She clearly has never had a job and need to manage her sick/vacation time.

**************
I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up staying home with Michael again. I'd like to request that the rational, pleasant almost 4 year old show up; not the crazy, tantruming 3.5 year old. WHo do I talk to about that?

7 comments:

Karen said...

The rational almost 4 year old was here earlier but as soon as his sister woke up, the tantruming, hitting 3.75 year old emerged.

I wish I had some advice for you but wanted to let you know that you are not alone. And my 3.75 year old also tells me he loves, me, Daddy and Katie when he knows it will benefit him most!

Maria said...

I'm right there with you! One minute Maya is all kisses and smiles, the next she is faux screeching commands (which never accomplishes anything). It's very odd, this age, like a good twin and an evil twin. Does this mean Laura has quads? Thanks so much for your kind words today, I love that your mom planted you a button tree. She seems awesome!

Heidi O said...

Mine isn't here at the moment. Attitude girl is here instead. She is supposed to be napping but I believe she is just upstairs making noise so that I rise to the bait and go up there.

Karla said...

You are DEFINITELY NOT alone. Trust me.

'nuff said.

Stacey said...

It's gotten to the point where I sort of cringe when I hear, "I love you SO MUCH Mommy" because it usually follows or precedes an act of physical or emotional destruction.

LauraC said...

Nope, I don't have quads. I always have SOMEONE being a devil. If not the boys, then Jon.

They need to turn 4 soon.

Susan said...

Ok, your right - making people understand that are not in the throws of the age you are is not easy and those people will be hard on you people that have little people (did that make sense?). Even though I have raised many little boys - they are not little now and you do truly forget - remember that encouragement - you DO forget some of the "stuff" you talk about now that seems huge.

You will enjoy preschool years when they are in every day. You will see some maturity there and maybe less tantrums. Maybe. I know every kid is different.

Yah to you though on sticking with the tator tots. As I learned, they won't starve. They just won't.

Enjoy all the "cute" moments. And keep in mind, teen problems are bigger =)