Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wordless Wednesday. Please!

I come from a very boisterous family. I mean, very, very boisterous family. After watching my family for an hour one evening, a friend was astonished by our conversations. She noted that we all talked at once. Loudly, and about different topics. Yet, we all understood what was going on the entire time. She was right.

Not only are we loud and talkative when we are together, but we are all pretty much the same way when we are alone. We all talk a lot. I tend to talk to myself if I'm alone for a long enough period of time. Talking is just part of who we are.

However, that doesn't mean that we talk all the time. Even we need a break some times. (Well, maybe not my brother. I'm surprised he doesn't talk in his sleep.) We all tend to drift of at times and decompress. We read, or listen to music, or do puzzles, or sew. Anything that gets us away from the noise.

Michael, much like the rest of my family, is a talker. At times it's a bit much, but he does also need down time, so I've always been able to deal with his talking.

Tuesday's are already hard for me. Before Michael started napping at daycare, Tuesday night was my break night. I'd put Michael to bed and Andy would go downstairs and exercise. I could take a nap, read, or go shopping. Now, Michael is up until 8:00. It's a tough adjustment for me.

Last night, Michael was on overdrive. He wasn't just talking non-stop, he was asking questions non-stop. Why? Why? Why? Why? Any time I tried to get him focused on something he would get distracted and start asking more questions. Hard questions! I felt like I was being grilled by the Spanish Inquisition!

When bedtime rolled around, Michael hadn't burned off all of the conversational energy. Instead, every time I'd get him pointed towards bed, he would be off on another tangent. I can't even remember what some of the distractions were, they simply felt like an assault on my brain at that point. I know one of them was that Michael wanted to whisper "swany swan" in my ear over and over and over again. Another was his request that I read a book backwards - which I did just so he would stop asking me to do it.

By the time I finally got him to bed, I was completely talked out. Poor Andy. I had no energy left to talk with him. I couldn't even stand listening to one of the shows that we need to clear off the TiVo. My brain was just too filled up with words.

So please, please, please can I have a wordless Wednesday?

8 comments:

Beth said...

:-)

Lindsay said...

Words, sorry. Bryan and I have a standing agreement that it's totally ok to just say, "I'm out of words" to shut down a conversation. It's a relief.

Mama Mia said...

I hear ya!!!

LauraC said...

I felt like that last night after taking the kids to Michael's and Target. Talked out. I told them to play together and mommy was going for quiet, then I hid in my bedroom for about 10 minutes. Nate tried to come up and talk and I told him it was still mommy quiet time. Worked!! Miracle!!

Heidi O said...

Instead of talking, talking talking, Max has this need to move non stop. Even when he is laying down, he is kicking something. Or he has to fidget. I am not sure which is worse. Though Maggie likes to start talking as soon as the radio gets turned on in the car. Then I turn it off and talk. It gets quiet. I turn it back on and she starts talking again.... I hope today is a quiet day for you.

Julie said...

I need a Wordless Day too. Holy crap can my kid talk. On and on and on--sometimes about something, sometimes about nothing, sometimes she just makes noise. I think I broke my own personal record of saying, "Please stop making noise, just to make noise" on Monday. It was bad. Sometimes I just need some silence and with the two kids, I never get it.

Maria said...

I have been known to say, no talking no talking no talking no talking no talking, while they are talking non stop, and it works sometimes, other times, not with the kids, with each other, Will and I will do the shut your mouth dialouge from Step Brothers. It usually gets us laughing...

DesiDVM said...

I'm also from a "boisterous" family LOL. TH gets so overwhelmed when my 2 sisters are in town at the same time because we also talk over each other...we can have hours-long conversations where we're all talking and somehow we all understand what's going on. He hates it. I know it's also given me a tendency to talk over other people (like at work) so I'm constantly trying to check myself and make sure I'm not interrupting someone or talking over them - I swear I'm not trying to be rude it's just how my family is LOL.

J is also a talker, he could talk before he could walk. Sometimes when I'm driving if I'm being too quiet for his liking he'll blurt out, "Mommy, say something! You're not talking!" He can't stand the silence :-P