Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shhh...maybe if I say this quietly I won't jinx it

There has been a change in our house that I have not spoken of. Not because I am ashamed, but because I don't want to jinx it.

When Michael was a baby, he was not interested in binkies or lovies. I thought that was great until a little before he was a year old he latched onto binkies and Shirt and all hope was lost. See, I was a thumb sucker, and I know how hard it was for me to break that habit. In fact, it's something that I did not achieve until I was nine years old when my orthodontist had to place a metal rake in my mouth. We won't even go into how long I've hung onto my security blanket...

Anyway, last summer we tried to get rid of the binkies. In fact, we had gotten to the point that Michael hadn't used one for a week when he started with the night time wake-ups. I'm not going to mince words here, I am weak at 3:00 in the morning. I will give in to just about anything to get some sleep. And give in I did. Michel asked for a binky and I gave him one.

With all of the recent illness and night waking, you would think this would be a bad time to try and get rid of the binkies. However, something strange happened a few weeks ago. Michael stopped asking for them at bedtime. He didn't ask, I didn't give him one. After a week of this I collected them all and hid them. He hasn't asked for one since. I have no idea what happened, but I'm not going to complain. Michael has been binky free for about three weeks now.

Even stranger than that, Michael has also abandoned Larry the Mama Snake and Hannah the dinosaur. One morning he got up and just left them behind in bed. He hasn't asked for them since. They are still in his bed, but more than once I've found one or both of them tossed on the floor in the morning. I guess he just doesn't need them anymore.

And I'm ok with that.

Mostly.

Well, maybe a little sad at how quickly he's growing up.

But what mom isn't?

10 comments:

Mel said...

It is a little sad. I did not even throw Analese's pacis out. I hid them, and I still have them! I get attached to these things. I was disappointed when Mariele was not interested in the pacis, and she went through a VERY short but cute thumb sucking phase. Oh well.....

Beth said...

Isn't it weird the things we kinda sorta miss. Seth calls his pacifiers "money" and now all the kids in his class know that those are "Seth's moneys." I'm in no hurry to get rid of them, except that I hate it when I'm running around the house looking for them. As I've told his teachers, I think I depend on his "moneys" more than he does. It's nice to see our kids maturing, but like you said, bittersweet.

LauraC said...

Yay! I wish I missed pacis or bottles but alas, I love the freedom.

I do miss that New Baby Smell though.

Deanna said...

That new baby breath smell...I loved that. K did pacificers until about 3 months old and then up and quit. I think he got tired of me trying to use a pacifier to buy 30 more minutes of sleep.

I thought he had lost his use of tigger and monkey but he's taken back up with them - they now get smooshed into my face for me to kiss them. Perhaps Michael will return to Larry the mama snake...I need more stories with her in them!

Heidi O said...

Maggie hasn't given up her bear blanket and I am sad to say that Max hasn't given up his tagged pillow.

I say yeehaw! Less things to have to pack when you travel.

Maria said...

was so sad when Maya gave up her monkey, and I'm not sure why. Unfortunately we all know her new love...gonorrhea.

Karen said...

Todd has been sad that Michael doesn't have a favorite stuffed animal or something he is attached to. He just prefers people :) I think that Katie is going to be the same. Neither of my kids used pacis and I was glad in a way because it was one less thing to keep track of.

Julie said...

Neither one of my girls dug/dig the paci. I wish Lacey took one consistently though, perhaps she would use me less as the human paci in the middle of the night. That is the upside of kids taking one.

I do however still have my security blanket--its in my closet and although its threadbare it still smells nice.

Steph said...

Cooper has a blankie he is attached to that my mom crocheted for him. He has done OK on nights when blankie is in the wash, but its better when blankie is there. Just like me I guess, I had (still have, in a drawer somewhere) a blankie my mom made me when I was a baby. I slept with that thing for a really long time. :)

windycityvegan said...

I'm not at all sad to see Nina grow up, and there are a lot of days I wish it would happen faster! I'm sure lots of it was due to my PPD that lasted nearly 18 months, but that's all in the past and now I'm just hating this whole toilet training phase of toddlerhood.