Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tired

The past two months have been a little rough with Michael's transition to daycare two days a week. He's handled the emotional adjustment very well. He really seems to enjoy going to school and playing with his new friends. While he only seemed to like one girl at the beginning, he now talks about playing with most of the kids in his class. He's also doing well with going back and forth between daycare one day and my mom's the next.

The big problem for Michael has been the inevitable illnesses he's picked up from the other kids. I knew this would happen, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. Michael has had endless colds, a double ear infection, and two weeks of hives as a result of his newly developed penicillin allergy. They all have different symptoms and require different care. But, they do have one thing in common. Night waking. Lots and lots of night waking.

Andy and I don't get enough sleep as it it. During the week I'm lucky if I get a full seven hours of sleep. It's not uncommon for Michael to wake once, maybe twice a night. If I can go in, tuck him in, pat his hiney and head back to bed, it's not a big deal. However, if Michael wakes up gagging, coughing, or crying clearly a pat on the hiney isn't enough to help him back to sleep. In the past two months we have been up in the middle of the night cleaning up throw up, administering Motrin, and administering Benadryl. Obviously, this is not the result of bad sleep habbits, and it's appropriate for us to be up tending to Michael when he's sick.

However, appropriate or not, it still sucks the life out of me. As every mother knows, lack of sleep doesn't do anything to stop the demands of the waking world. I still have to get up and go to work. I still need to make sure dinner's on the table. And somehow, even though Michael is sleep deprived as well, he still has tons of energy and still needs the same level of attention - or more - that he normally needs.

I thought things were settling down a little. Michael's ears seam to be OK, the hives are almost gone, his latest cold is improving. I was looking forward to a night or two of sleep before Michael picks up a new cold today at school.

Nope. I went to bed at 10:15, Michael woke at 11:15. He let me tuck him in, but I knew that something was wrong when he asked me to stay. Do'h! I managed to get back to bed around 11:30 only to hear a quite, "mommy" from down the hall at 12:15. Over the next hour he claimed he had a stomach ache, that he was hungry, that he needed me to read to him, and that he was itchy. He yawned and rubbed his eyes and tried to go back to sleep many times, but nothing seemed to work. I read to him, gave him water, and gave him Benadryl and nothing worked. Andy finally came in and Michael actually let me leave the room without having a fit. At around 1:15- 1:30, Andy finally made it bad to bed. We were all able to sleep until the alarm went off at 5:30.

Now I'm left exhausted and confussed. What was wrong with him that made it so hard to sleep? His skin looked really good this morning. His nose and breathing were pretty clear. His ears seem just fine. So what was it, and how do I fix it? I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent and *yawn*.

8 comments:

Beth said...

It's so hard to know. Is something wrong? Just a phase of having a hard time falling back asleep? Or the beginnings of a bad habit? Wish I had the answers. William has been having more night-waking than usual over the past week or two. But I'm pretty confident nothing is wrong with him. It just becomes a habit all too quickly. In your case, I hope Michael stays well and reverts to his old sleeping ways soon. In the meantime, hang in there! (I know--so lame.)

Lindsay said...

What Beth said. I'd give it several days to see if it has just become a habit.

So sorry!!!

LauraC said...

And THIS is why I am done with children.
I am screwed when the boys start free school. They've already caught every germ possible from their existing school.

I find they are more likely to wake right before they get something.

Stacey said...

That's tough. We've had a really, really good run over the past 6+ months and I cringe with sympathy for the havoc that illness rages. If it makes you feel any better it was the first few months in daycare that kicked our butt but it's been much better for the past two. I'm each winter will be a little easier. Personally I need 8 hours a sleep to function so you can imagine how useless I am when my sleep is interrupted...there is a reason we don't remember the first 3 months! Good luck. Hopefully you can take a day off where your son is in care and you can get a nap :-)

Carrie77 said...

Nathan started preschool this year and its only 2 days a week but he is sick almost every other week, then Autumn, then Jeremi, then me.. ughhhh.

Heidi O said...

I am definitely a sleep person myself. And I know when they are sick it can be tough and the not knowing harder. With Maggie, it's a tough call because if she is in a stubborn mood then she can wreck all kinds of havoc on Max because they share a room. I wish I could help, I don't even know what you could do with just one except to keep walking him back to the room and leaving him as quietly as possible again and again.
I hope it isn't a bad habit starting too.

DesiDVM said...

This is the thing about having kids that you REALLY don't understand until you have them...how you're never really well-rested again. Of course we've been dealing with the baby sleep issues all over again, which is bad enough. But now that the baby is sleeping a little better (as in "only" waking up 3 times a night), J has decided for the past couple of weeks that he gets up at around 5am every day. On Saturday he woke up at 4:30am and would not go back to sleep, and somehow didn't take a nap either that day. I was ready to pull my hair out!!

Anyway I know how you feel with the sleepless nights!

Steph said...

I hope that he settles into a good routine after running the course of germs at his new school. We had a few really rough years with Cooper while he was in daycare. To date, his current preschool has been much better, but they are also total tyrants on washing hands. Literally his hands have been chapped for months, but its been better than having him sick all the time. It sucks not getting any sleep for all of you. Do you think he's so used to getting up that now its a routine? We ended up putting a clock in Cooper's room and told him when he could get up (6:00), but that only works when he's feeling good.