Friday, March 5, 2010

We are half way there

Michael had a great night last night. He slept through until 5:00 am, which is half an hour before our alarm goes off. I tucked him in, patted his hiney and he went right back to sleep.

So, all is good, right?

Not quite.

Julie caught something important in yesterday's post.

A sick kid breathing in your face? You better take some Vitamin C!

By the time he was breathing in my face, it was already too late. I already had Michael's cold. The good news is that I now understand why Michael was up so much the other night. I love solving mysteries. The bad news is that I know from experience.

I was so tired last night that I decided to go to bed at 9:00. I expected that Michael would be up throughout the night, and I wanted to try and fit as much sleep in as possible. My nose was running and my throat was a little scratchy so I grabbed some tissues and some Cepacol and settled in for the night.

As soon I laid down, my throat got super scratchy. I tried to ignore it, but I couldn't resist coughing. I got some throat spray. I started to drift off...then the tickle would start. I'd will myself not to cough hoping I could drift off before I couldn't fight it any more. No luck.

After an hour of trying to find something to calm my throat down I just hit a wall. I'm tired. Really, really tired. I'm working full time. I'm dealing with an unpredictable and sick 3.75 year old. I've been using every shred of energy I have trying to be patient and understanding. And damn it, I just want to sleep!

So I lost it. I just broke down and had a good cry. I let it all out. It felt so good.

For a moment, that is. As I calmed down and tried to relax and give sleep another go I discovered something. If you have a cold, and you bawl your eyes out, your sinuses will clog right up making it impossible to breath through your nose. I also learned that if you have a scratchy throat the worst thing you can do for it is breath through your mouth.

I laid in bed sniffing, snorting and coughing for a few more minutes before giving up completely. I grabbed my pillow, tissues, and the baby monitor and headed down to the sofa. I closed the door behind me in hopes that at least Andy might get a good night's sleep.

I won't go into all the gory details about just how bad my night was, but let's just say that it was bad. In fact, these past few weeks have felt almost like when Michael was a new born. I am so tired I can barely see straight, and I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking straight. I really hope we can fit a few decent nights of sleep in soon, or else I'm going to start babbling like a mad woman.

**********
I always wonder what it's like to experience this stuff through Andy's eyes. I imagine that if he had a blog, his post would go something like this.

Joanna was a little punchy again last night. I guess she's just as tired from these night wakings as I am. Why can't that kid sleep?

Then she decided to go to bed at 9:00, because she is sick. I can't stand when she is sick. She makes these weird sounds with her throat until she falls asleep. Then, once she does fall asleep, she normally ends up snoring in my face. I hate nights like that.

After a while, for no apparent reason, Joanna just freaked out. I was practically asleep and she just started bawling her eyes out. I tried rubbing her back, but dude she was a mess. She calmed down, and I tried to go back to sleep. As I was drifting off again, she flew out of bed like she was being attacked. She ran around the dark room grabbing random stuff and then started to leave.

I felt really bad for her so I asked her if there was anything I could do to help. She barked back something about making her throat stop itching and disappeared, closing the door behind her. She is so weird when she has a cold.

And the worst part of this is that she's going to be in such a crappy mood today. I hope we don't have a repeat tonight. Sheesh. To make matters worse, she'll probably start babbling like a mad woman again.

12 comments:

Lindsay said...

So, so sorry, friend. At least you are AWESOME! That's got to count for something, right?

Also? Andy should get the monitor on a night like that. Amen.

JenFen said...

How do you turn such a crappy situation and make it so hilarious by looking at it through Andy's eyes? I really envy your sense of humor and hope you feel better soon.

Steph said...

Oh no, sorry to hear you have the cold now too. Hope you are able to get some rest and feel better soon!

Deanna said...

I love the blog from Andy's point of view! Sometimes I do a meltdown and then laugh afterwards at what my husband must think.

So sorry that you have a cold and that you haven't had any sleep. I'm on the tail end of a cold and was just telling my mom that the hell of it is that you can't sleep because you have a cold but you can't better unless you sleep.

I'd bring you chicken soup if we lived close by!

Beth said...

Hope you feel better soon. And while I agree with Lindsay in theory, if Michael is anything like William, having daddy tend to him instead of mommy will just make him more upset. I wish we were equal-opportunity parents in our household, but that just isn't how things have panned out. LOL! And btw--LMAO at your comments on LauraC's blog. You have the BEST sense of humor EVER!

Maria said...

Feel better! Love the Andy blog.

LauraC said...

I'm SURE Andy would not write that blog because I know he knows how hard things are right now. Sleep deprivation is the hardest part of taking care of kids. Lack of sleep can make everything seem a billion times worse!

Hope you get some sleep soon. In our house, if you're sick (JON) then you get a break from nighttime duty.

London said...

Ugh, I hope you feel better soon!

Andy's POV was hilarious BTW!

Julie said...

Oh no, that sucks. Its happened to me so many times that when a Lana catches something, I just mentally plan for me getting it within 24-48h.

You are seriously, wickedly funny though.

Sorry about the crying--sometimes you just need to get that out. The sleep deprivation can make you cry all by itself. Been there too. Once when Lacey was at the height of her sleep issues and I was having breastfeeding issues, Bill came home to me crying and he actually said--you know, its not that bad. I FREAKED out and actually walked out the door and got in the car to drive aimlessly while cursing loudly. That is SO not who I am, I have never done such a thing, but that sleep deprivation almost made me lose my noodle, for real.

I hope you feel better soon and I hope you can get some sleep this weekend.

Mama Mia said...

You are so funny! I hope you are feeling better!

Heidi O said...

Can I order some of your sense of humor please? Where is the menu? I wish I could imagine things like that.

I hope you are feeling better and that you catch up on your sleep over the weekend.

DesiDVM said...

As I'm typing I'm trying to ignore my scratchy throat and swollen glands. J sick last week, hubby home w/sick baby yesterday, now it's my turn. Lovely. A couple months ago when we were all sick I also had a freakout night where I had to jump up and run downstairs because I couldn't stop coughing and waking the baby up (he was still sleeping with us). It was a horrible night.

I swear by the neti pot to flush out sinuses. It's very weird but sometimes it's the only thing that will help when I can't breathe.