Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day Off Fail

I finally gave in and realized that I was going to have to take a day off if I was going to start getting caught up on the many things I've neglected over the past three months. My dream day off would involve relaxing and doing something to pamper myself, but I didn't take yesterday off to dream. Instead, I started getting caught up.

The first thing I did in the morning was to complete my taxes. I've had all the paperwork together since February, but I haven't had two hours of uninterrupted quiet time to sit down and make sure I get all the math correct. No, I don't use tax software to do my taxes. I hate to spend money on something I can do myself, and if I'm going to be completely honest, I actually enjoy doing taxes. It's just like a big math word problem, but instead of getting a grade at the end, I get money!

Still, not my favorite way to spend a day off.

My next step was to get my oil changed. It's possible that I neglected to get my oil changed for over 10,000 miles. The recommended time is actually 10,000 miles, but even with synthetic oil, I've never felt comfortable going that long between oil changes. Fortunately, was able to correct this problem with a half hour trip to Jiffy Lube. Aside from being forced to listen to country music and politely decline having every filter and blade on my car replaced for large sums of money, it wasn't too bad.

Still, not my favorite way to spend a day off.

Next trip was to the post office. There was a long line when I got there. In that long line was a dad with a double stroller and twins. One twin was getting restless. I watched this go on for ten minutes until the frustrated dad finally called it quits and had to leave. I was so angry at everyone in front of him. Yes, they probably would have had to stand in line for an extra two minutes if they had let him move to the front, but come on. Have a little compassion!

I finally returned home after running some errands and decided to take a little time off for myself. I'm trying to find some more paths to run on so that I can easily add distance as I improve and allow me to keep things fresh. I took a wonderful walk around our township park that connects to the farm park. I've mapped out several new routes that I'm excited to try out.

I took a short nap once I got home to prepare for Michael to come home. It was gorgeous weather so I knew he would want to play outside. What I didn't expect was that I would end up playing with a whole neighborhood of kids. To be honest, I don't even know where all of these kids are coming from. Everyday, new kids show up. I guess the economy has forced some families to take in relatives with kids. Lots and lots of kids. It's like having a whole daycare in my front yard. The only problem with that is that yesterday I ended up being the daycare teacher.

I'm not even joking about that. Two of the older girls were out playing and their elderly grandmother was on their porch watching them. But they wanted to play with Michael so I was in charge of being the referee. (Oh, and that's a job. The 6 year old and Michael spend the entire time trying to boss one another around. Comical, but tiring.) Then some of the boys who are staying with their grandmother came out to play ball. One of their mom's and I ended up playing baseball and having dinosaur hunts with a massive crowd of kids. I lost count of how many whiffle balls I got pelted with.

From there we ended up moving to my lawn and somehow a picnic showed up when I spread out a blanket. Seriously, the girls ran off for a few minutes and the next thing I knew there were snacks and juice set up. It was pretty cool. After snacking, the kids played chalk and rode bikes. As kids came home from daycare, more would come over to play. At one point I had 7 or 8 kids playing with chalk and I was the only parent close enough to keep the kids from going all Lord of the Flies on each other. (To be fair, we all end up doing this from time to time.)

While this also is not my ideal way to spend a day off, it was a lot more fun than doing taxes and getting my oil changed. I was really impressed with how well all the kids played with one another, and it gave me some insight into how daycare teachers can handle 10 kids at one time. It's hard work, but fascinating to watch. By the time I finally came in and left the kids to the dads, I was tired but also very happy. I was even happier when I put Michael to bed and he crashed in 5 minutes flat.

So, all in all, not my ideal day off. So, you know what I did? I took today off too, just for myself. The only problem I have now is figuring out where I should go shopping and how long to nap!

8 comments:

Beth said...

Have an awesome, fantabulous day! (And why is your post title Day Off Fail? You did everything you needed to, took a walk and a nap, and played outside with kids. That's a successful day in my book!)

Maria said...

Ditto Beth's comment. Plus, make sure to have something really yummy all to yourself for lunch!

Steph said...

Hope your day off today is totally indulgent!

LauraC said...

I have to agree with Beth. Avoiding jail by paying your taxes and avoiding costly car repairs by tuning up your car are WINS.

Perhaps today you can vajazzle to make up for lost time.

Lindsay said...

Doesn't it feel good to catch up a bit? Woo hoo!

The kids in our neighborhood are all older, but I'm hoping our boys will be able to join in soon. Sometimes there are moms outside, and sometimes I don't see ANYBODY. Guess it will be me!

Heidi O said...

It still sounds pretty good to have that time to yourself.

And I like the analogy of daycare worker. We barely go out front since the sun goes down on our house.

Karen said...

I thought that you were going to post about another illness! Just finished my taxes here as well. Enjoy today as a day of rest!!

Stacey said...

I hope you enjoyed your rest day!

I enjoy doing taxes too. I usually get all the paperwork around report card time and reward myself for finishing report cards by allowing myself to do the taxes. Some people think that's crazy.

I wish we had lots of kids in our neighborhood, but that much time outside with them would do me in.