Monday, April 12, 2010

Enough Already!

That's it. I've had it. This is getting ridiculous.

Our weekend started out well. We spent a lot of time outside on Friday evening and Saturday morning with the neighborhood kids. The weather was chilly, but sunny. Perfect for riding bikes, playing ball, going down slides, running around like maniacs, and other fun stuff that little kids do. And Michael did it all. It was great to spend so much time playing.

It all went down hill around 1:00 am Saturday night when Michael decided that he didn't want to sleep, he wanted to go down stairs. He was quiet adamant about this too. In fact, he screamed and yelled about it until 4:30 in the morning when Andy finally laid down on the floor next to him and let him cry himself out. It was bad.

We tried to figure out what was wrong. I asked about his ears, his tummy, I felt his head. Nothing. He said he was fine...he just wanted to go downstairs.

The morning went OK. The only sign that anything was off was that he decided to ride in the shopping cart instead of walk. It makes shopping easier, so I was all for it. In the afternoon, he was very excited about going to the playground, and played nicely with the other kids. However, when we got home, he crashed and burned with a huge tantrum about not wanting to come into the house. He went full blown wild and finally just wore himself out. He asked for some milk and then crashed hard on the sofa.

By the time he woke up, he was getting a fever. Crap.

He did go out to play for a little while, but seemed to go downhill from there. Even with Tylenol he was getting pretty warm. At bedtime, he headed right upstairs and crawled into bed after brushing his teeth. Considering he normally insists on endless books, this was very surprising. It was a lot less surprising at 11:00 when his stomach started to revolt. Crap, crap, crap.

I ended up sleeping on the floor with him in hopes of avoiding long screaming sessions or the need to get the Bissel spot cleaner out. He did pretty well through the night, but when he woke up at 4:30 he was still burning hot and his tummy was sending him very confusing messages. I won't give you details, but it made for a very unpleasant bathroom scene. I said things I never expected to say when I became a mother. (i.e. It's okay baby, just try to toot. It's ok to toot. Oh, here's the bucket.)

Yes, Michael is sick again. We are going on our 14th straight week involving some kind of illness. This is getting old. Really old. I knew daycare came with germs, but this is crazy. I just want my poor baby to feel better.

To be honest, it's really taking a toll on Andy and I as well. We are both very tired from lack of sleep, and we are also behind on tons of stuff. I still haven't done the taxes yet. I've never been this late, especially since we are getting money back. I want to do the stupid taxes, I just don't have time. When I do have a few minutes, I'm too tired to bother.

I've been working really hard to build up my sick and vacation time since I had to take off last fall for my mom's surgery. I really don't want to get stuck tacking unpaid time off again. I'd also like to be able to take a family vacation this fall as well. I can't really afford to take time off so I can do taxes and clean the house. But, it's getting to the point where I don't think I can afford not to take time off.

This is all very frustrating. I just want my kid to be healthy and to get caught up on things. Is that really too much to ask?

8 comments:

Steph said...

Oh no, sick again. I am so sorry. I have been there with Cooper over the years,and always have run out of time off because of it too. No fun, I hope you get through this time soon.

LauraC said...

Ditto what Steph said. We ran out of vacation time the first two years. Sucks. Sucks so bad.

Karen said...

Been there with Michael as you well know. Keeping my fingers crossed that we will avoid it with Katie. Look on the bright side....he will be ready for kindergarten!

Heidi O said...

I hope he gets through this quickly and that you come out soon feeling stronger. I know that exhausted, nothing going right. Do the necessary but let some of it go until you have the energy.
I hope you all get the rest you need.

Beth said...

Hang in there Joanna. You are stronger than you ever knew. It will start getting easier. I swear. When this year started, I was thinking that for once, I have a lot of annual leave (since I will no longer need it for maternity leave), but alas, I'm sure I'll be using it all for sick leave, since I was out of sick leave before the year even began. It sucks. Period.

Deanna said...

I'm so sorry, Joanna. It's cliche but "this will pass" and Michael's immune system will be the stronger for it. It just really sucks right now. We ran out of all vacation, sick, and personal time the past few years...I have my fingers crossed for this year. And I hear you on being so tired that just doing the basics is sometimes asking too much. I hope ya'll get some sleep tonight.

Mel said...

So sorry. Hope he will get well once and for all!

Julie said...

I am so sorry! The sickness has just been nonstop for poor Michael. We have been sick a lot this year too, but its all been colds--not like Michael's fevers, EIs and tummy bugs. I hope he is feeling better now and that you guys can catch a break. It is totally exhausting when they are sick over and over with no break in between. Summer is coming!!