Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quick Look! Something Shinny!

I'm just going to come out and say it today. I'm not in a good mood. Michael and I got into World War III this morning over the fact that I wanted to change him into jeans instead of PJs before leaving the house this morning. If I wasn't already stressed out from the endless battles I seem to be having with him lately, I probably would have gone with the distract with humor approach or the let him wear them to school and deal with the consequences approach. But I am just sick and tired of the battles and I just wanted him to PUT THE PANTS ON NOW SO I'M NOT LATE FOR WORK!

Big mistake on my part. That just escalated everything to super freak out level. We ended up yelling at each other while I tried to pull his pants off and he kept pulling them up. When we reached shrieking range, I stop and told Michael that I was behaving poorly and put myself into time out. I totally deserved to be there too. So did Michael, but getting him into time out at that point would have been counterproductive to me calming down. So, I plopped my butt down on the stair and sulked for a few minutes. Michael gave me a funny look and sulked on the sofa.

That seemed to do the trick, and I was able to get Michael dressed and out the door without too much more effort. When I got Michael to school, I realized that I had forgotten Michael's breakfast, and I had to beg the early teacher for some food. I already felt like a crappy mom by that point, so admitting that I can't even remember to feed my child didn't do much to make me feel better. Clearly not a morning to include on my Mommy of the Year award form.

As I was leaving the daycare I started looking over the piles of papers I had picked up from his file. It included some of his artwork, a worksheet that hadn't been touched, and a reminder that Thursday is PJ Pizza Party day. That means the kids get to wear their PJs to school.

You do know what this means, don't you? It means that on Thursday morning when I DON'T change him out of him PJ pants he's going to throw a fit and insist that he MUST wear pants that day. If you don't think that will happen, you haven't been reading this blog for very long.

So, in honor of the fact that I feel cranky and annoyed today, I'm going to direct you to this post by Amalah. I so wish I had writen this post, it's not even funny. While I'm jealous, I still want everyone else to enjoy it, so head on over for some major Star Wars geekiness.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

I am going to start a new feature called "Laura's Brilliant Ideas" just to help deal with Michael.

On Wed night, you say he can not sleep in his clothes. Then he will sleep in his clothes. On Thurs morning, you tell him he has to wear those clothes to school then you can "win" by letting him wear pjs to school.

Problem solved!

Heidi O said...

Joanna, I wish that Max and I didn't have a tug of war going sometimes or just all out war but it happens with stubborn kids.

I like that you put yourself in time out. My husband usually looks at me and says 'don't take it personally.'

Stacey said...

I picked up Cole from school yesterday to see he wore his pajama shirt. He told me, "Grandma wouldn't let me wear my pajama pants because it's not pajama day." Luckily he's a rule follower when it comes to school. Will the, "Your teacher said..." work on Michael?

Deanna said...

Does it help if I tell you about the almost-yelling argument I got into with my 2.5 year old over handing back my new i-phone? I really should have gone into time-out.