Thursday, April 1, 2010

Yay Me! I Did it!

One of my 500 in 2010 goals is to be able to run the 2 mile park loop, including the big hill, without stopping to walk. I set this goal last summer when I first started to run, but I never came any where close to actually doing it. That played a large part in me replacing my old recumbent exercise bike with the new upright bike with programmable workouts as well as my cross training effort on the elliptical. To make that two mile run and run up that hill, I needed to really step things up, so I did. A lot.

What's funny is that I wasn't even planning on running yesterday. I knew the weather was supposed to start improving, but I had no idea just how nice it would be. It was perfect for a run, so Andy and I agreed on a workout schedule that allowed me to hit the park.

With such short notice, I hadn't really considered what run I wanted to do. I was thinking of just going out and running the hill over and over. I also considered doing the loop in the opposite direction - which means I'd go down the big hill, but start and end the run going slightly uphill. However, something in me was just itching for my goal loop, and I decided to go with it.

The moment I made the decision, I knew I was going to make the whole loop running. There wasn't a moment during the run that I doubted that I would do it. I felt great when I started running. I felt even more amazing when I reached the top of the hill. By the end of the run I was positively exuberant. I did it! I really, truly did it! I ran two miles without stopping!

The red bold line on the map below shows my run. I run clockwise. The dreaded hill runs from High Arch Bridge up to the Hay Barn. I cannot wait to do it again.


Photobucket

The best part is that there are many more miles of the park to run, and an even longer, steeper hill to conquer. I can't wait to get started.

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is a long hill! Congrats and Woo Hoo!

(yeah, I know I am reinforcing the cheerleader image with every 'woo hoo', but sometimes they are just necessary.)

=)

Maria said...

Awesome! What a fantastic accomplishment! Now you can do anything! I love hitting a goal like that, it makes all possibilities open up. Great job!

Beth said...

Fantastic! Congrats to you. Although I'm not ready to go "public," I've started working out on the elliptical and I LOVE it! I'm actually looking forward to my workouts. And it's almost entirely because of you. So yay you! When I'm exercising more regularly (So far, I'm only managing twice a week, but hoping to get to at least 3 times, and maybe 4), I'm planning to post about it, and I'll give you full credit. Now that you've conquered a hill, maybe I need to find myself a hill . . .

MyWorld said...

Huge congratulations!!

Karla said...

Wow that's fabulous! Congratulations on meeting your goal Joanna!

Heidi O said...

Joanna that is awesome! Sometimes the best way to conquer goals is just to do it and not put the thought into it. I think that by you deciding spur of the moment that you couldn't psych yourself out. At least, that is what happens to me. If I think too hard, I have a tendency to chicken out.

Steph said...

Awesome!!! I am loving the change in weather this week, sunny and warm. Yes! Yesterday I was itching to run, but was worried I would topple over for being so front heavy right now with the baby. :)

Julie said...

Congrats is right! I am so impressed!!

London said...

Good for you!!!

Stacey said...

Super awesome!

Karen said...

I thought this post was going to be about sleeping through the night without waking up :) But seriously, that was an awesome run!

JenFen said...

Super exciting. Congrats! You go girl! Woo hoo!. I am competing with Lindsay for the title of cheerleader, can you tell? But seriously, what an accomplishment.

Mel said...

That is awesome!!! I'm not quite there yet, but I think I will set my own 2 mile goal.

LauraC said...

Woo hoo! We are going to kill Warrior Dash. And take some spectacular photos while we do it.