Monday, May 17, 2010

A New Sensation

I'm very anxious today. Anxiety isn't a new feeling for me, in fact, I'm well acquainted with it. There are many situations that cause me anxiety, but oddly, there is one that does not. Going to the dentist. I am not afraid of going to the dentist.

I know why too. I have bad teeth. And a bad mouth. And I have anxiety that leads me to clench and crack my teeth. As a result, I've had more than my fair share of dental work. I remember getting my first cavity filled without Novocaine (Who lets a 7 year old talk them out of giving Novocaine?) I spent three years with braces, much of that time with a spring pushing my lower middle teeth apart enough to place a bridge with two teeth into the gap. That was less than pleasant. I've since had one bone and two tissue grafts done in that same location. Folks, they take the tissue from the roof of your mouth! I've had numerous cavities filled and two caps placed.

In other words, been there, done that. Dental visits are such a non-issue for me that I have almost fallen asleep during cleanings. In fact, I consider cleanings as a little mini-break almost like going to the spa. Lay down and relax for half an hour? I'm all for it.

Today, however, I'm dreading a dentist appointment. I've been dreading it all weekend. The procedure is simple. Micro abrasion on two tooth surfaces followed by coating with sealants. Quick, no pain, simple.

The problem? This is for Michael. I'm not concerned that this will hurt. I've had the same tools used on me and it's no big deal. I'm concerned about how hard he's going to fight this. I'm really hoping we can get both done today, otherwise it will have to wait until we get back from Disney, which is not desirable.

I'm really hoping that Michael will be intimidated into going along with this, because other wise, it could get ugly. I'm concerned that I may get to witness just how ugly it can get. Wish us luck!

7 comments:

LauraC said...

Be afraid, be very afraid. Expectations low.

Worst case - restraints.

I kid! Worst case is sedation!

Beth said...

I will hope for you what is usually the case for me--the anticipation is WAY worse than the actual event. Fingers crossed that you will be pleasantly (understatement) surprised!

Karen said...

Hoping for the best case scenario for you.

My Michael's dental office offered to give sedation for anything other than routine cleanings. Hence, one of the reasons I love them!

Heidi O said...

Hopefully it is laughing gas and he just giggles a lot.

Maria said...

Thinking good thoughts, maybe he'll surprise you... Or maybe he'll be Michael. Either way, I'm sure you're expecting it. Can't wait to hear the results.

Stacey said...

Glad it went well. It's the true mark of a contrary child to be absolutely delightful when least expected.

Julie said...

So, how did it go? I hope better than you expected.