Friday, May 7, 2010

Phone Photo Friday - I'm Smitten

At work, it's not uncommon for people to ask me if I'm an engineer. I work at an engineering company, so it's a reasonable question. I'm not an engineer, but I do come from a long line of engineers, and I do tend to have some (many) of the traits of an engineer. Anyone who has spent much time around an engineer knows what I mean.

One of my "engineer" traits is that I'm not really into cutesy or whimsical stuff. For the most part, that kind of thing just seems unnecessary and sometimes even messy to me. However, becoming a mom has softened me up a little. It used to take cute, fluffy kittens to soften me up, but now even a show like Wow, Wow, Wubbsy will make go "awww" every so often.

Of course, Michael has about as much interest in cute as his mommy does. There is a reason people keep telling me he's going to be an engineer some day. He does do pretend play and has an active imagination, but he won't hesitate to stop playing for a moment to correct you when you aren't playing your assigned dinosaur properly. (Mommy, Allosaurus has 3 claws.)

Every so often, Michael branches out and does something creative. Recently, he's started drawing dinosaurs in addition to writing letters. And let me just say, they are the cutest things in the whole, wide world. I'm totally in love with them and encourage him to do it as much as possible. Check this one out.


Photobucket

Isn't that just the most adorable dinosaur ever? We have them all over the parking lot, and I can't help but smile every time I pull up and see them. I just had to take a picture so I could post it here and gush about it. I just think they are cute, cute, cute. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy. It's really rather odd.

Of course, the moment is killed when Michael comes over and scolds me for parking on his dinosaurs. "Mommy, you need to move your car. You can't park on my dinosaurs."

"It's ok to park on them, the pressure will help turn them into fossils." I respond. This makes perfect sense to Michael and we carry on, both of us back to being annoyingly practical.






12 comments:

Steph said...

I love the dinosaur in the picture!!! Too cute. And, I think it's hilarious and great that your reasoning with him on the dinosaur becoming a fossil works. :)

LauraC said...

I don't think it's sappy. We were watching a Spider-Man cartoon the other night and there was a big fight going. Alex was yelling "Get the bad guy! Get him Spider-Man!" and it was so freaking cute.

Dinosaurs and spider-man cute = only moms of boys.

Heidi O said...

I like the aww moments. And I have known lots of engineers. and usually the awws just happen on the inside.

Beth said...

Wow--that is cave-worthy. Super impressive! I love his attention to detail.

Maria said...

I live the fossil comment! Perfectly rational. The dino drawing is awesome!

MyWorld said...

That's the coolest dinosaur ever.

Karla said...

Great drawing! Michael cracks me up!

Stacey said...

See, this kind of awesome drawing is exactly the kind of thing that incites panic in me.

Seriously, that picture is so cute.

freedominside said...

You made my day today!!! Just love that explanation of yours...

Karen said...

I think becoming a mom turns on a switch that makes us all a little bit sappier.

Julie said...

Great dinosaur drawing! Love how he was satisfied with the fossil comment--smart little cookie.

JenFen said...

Awesome pictures! And I can so relate but Jake draws race tracks and then I get in trouble if I park on them. Don't suppose you have a good explanation I can use for that?