Monday, June 14, 2010

Icky: Good or Bad?

I'm a girl (woman, whatever) so the word "icky" has a fairly clear meaning for me. Anything icky is something I don't want to be near. It most likely will make my skin crawl, make me squeal and shriek, and cause my heart to race. Chances are, it will have more than four legs and will crunch when squished. I avoid things that are "icky".

Maria, who is the mother of three wonderful daughters, seems to know something that I am quickly learning. "Icky" does not mean the same thing to boys as it does to girls. She was at a book fair and saw some books that she thought Michael might like so she kindly picked them up and sent them to him. She nailed it with every single book. We have been reading Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp and How do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? since they arrived. But, the real hit is the Icky Bug Alphabet Book.

Michael loves the Icky Bug bog. LOVES IT. He had me read it three times in a row the night it arrived. He's working on memorizing every bug in the book, and is upset that they couldn't find a bug that started with "X". I should probably Google it to see if I can find one because I suspect this isn't going to end any time soon. He even took the book to my Mom's this morning and showed her the book.

On Friday, J and M were out playing when we got home, and Michael insisted on bringing the Icky Bug book out to share with them. J, is a little boy who is just a few days older than Michael. M, is a little girl who is several months younger. They both joined Michael and I on my front steps so I could read them the book. J and Michael loved it. M, not so much. I could tell she wasn't enjoying the book, so I tried to speed past earwigs to get to the butterflies, but the boys wanted me to linger.

That's when J noticed that there were bees buzzing around the lavender plant at our feet. I had already shown he and Michael the pouches of pollen on the bees' hind legs, so I knew the boys were into watching the bees. So, I glanced at M. She was done sitting there politely as I read the book. She scooted away from the plant as her face crumpled into tears. I scooped her up and whisked her past the evil little insects and into her daddy's arms where she was safe.

It turns out that icky means something different to girls and boys. Personally, I think I side with M when it comes to icky bugs. Butterflies and dragon flies are very pretty, but you can keep your earwigs to yourself.

5 comments:

Beth said...

OMG--what a timely post! William and I saw a dead earwig on the bathroom floor in our basement and I didn't know what it was. It had died with its rear pincers open, and William asked what they were for. I said I didn't know, and he thought the bug must use the pincers to grab his poop. Luckily, we got distracted before pursuing that line of thought any further. I'm with you--Icky indeed! (But I may have to get that book anyway!)

Deanna said...

Oh! I think we need that book in our household!

And earwigs? Yuck-a-muck! I hate it when I find those in the house.

We have moles in our yard this year...I bet M would like those, too!

DesiDVM said...

Like most boys J is really into anything "gross" or "icky"...except bugs LOL. He screams like, well, like a little girl if so much as a fly gets into the house. He doesn't even like ladybugs! He will torture roly-poly bugs though.

Now if we could get through a day without the words "poop" or "booger" that would be awesome...

Maria said...

I'm so happy he like the books so much! My girls had to thoroughly inspect them before sending them off, and while the icky bug book was interesting, there were a lot more cheers for the "girly" bugs than the icky ones. We have been working on not freaking out when we see them, that is still a work in progress...

Heidi O said...

My kids have a weird fascination with the cockroaches here. They love to scream and scream.