Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Moms Say the Funniest Things

I know what you are thinking, it's supposed to be kids say the funniest things. Well, they do. But sometimes parents don't think before they speak either.

On Saturday morning I took Michael to Target so he could pick out a Father's Day gift for Andy. As part of his potty training, Michael had earned a Toy Story Lego kit and Andy and Michael have been having a lot of fun playing with it together. I thought it would be nice if Michael picked out another Toy Story Lego kit to give to Andy as a gift. Michael loved the idea and picked out the remote controll car from the first movie. (Amazingly, it was the cheapest one. That never happens. Unless mommy actually wants the big Train kit and is disappointed that her son doesn't pick it out.)

The problem with this plan was that involved taking Michael into the toy department at Target. Getting him into it is not the problem, getting him out without spending a hundred dollars is. "Oh look mommy, Hot Wheels! Oh, Mr. Potato Head! Oh, Paperoni kits!"

Paperoni? Seriously? It looks like someone constructed a freakish animal out of mini tampons. I'm not buying that. It's going to give me nightmares.

Fortunately, before Michael started in with the hardcore begging for a little brown tampon dog, he noticed the Letter PixO set. Despite his long time love of dinosaurs and new found passion for bugs, letters are still Michael's favorite thing in the whole world. He saw the Letter PixOs and locked right in. Knowing I had already lost the battle, I agreed to buy them if we could head right to the checkout.

As soon as we got home, it was PixO time. I hadn't even kicked my shoes off before he was begging for the PixO kit. I dug it out of the bag, found an old egg carton, and separated the PiXos out by color. Then, we started making letters.

PixOs are really neat, but they really do push the limits of a 4 year old's fine motor skills. Michael was able to use tweezers (the suction thingy in the kit was too hard to use) but getting them into the correct hole on the grid was very difficult for Michael. In fact, it was difficult for me. We ended up sitting next to each other with me holding the bead tray over the letter template while Michael dropped PixOs all over the place, and occasionally into the PixO grid. I wouldn't call what we were doing fun, but Michael is crazy for letters, so he kept plugging away on the letters in his name.

By the time we got to "A" Michael had been working for a while. I was tired from keeping PixOs off the floor, holding the template in place, sorting out different colors because somewhere along the line Michael dumped all of them into a single bowl, pushing errant PixOs back into the proper hole when Michael would hit it with the tweezers...You know what I mean.

At one point, Mister "I can do it myself" noticed I was fixing one of his beads and complained that he didn't need my help.

"Michael, you dropped one into the "A" hole and I'm just trying to get it out for you."

Andy, who was sitting across the room burst out laughing. Michael and I both looked at him like he was insane until I realized what I had just said. Then, Michel got to look at both of us like we were insane because I REFUSED to explain what was so funny.

Oops.

6 comments:

Maria said...

I am never disappointed when I read your posts! And no, I am never tired of the funny things that come out of the mouths of adults and kids alike...I cannot believe some of the things I've said.

Mel said...

I'm not really surprised at you. I expect someone with an anus-eye to say that:) ;) ;)

JenFen said...

Love it! That seriously made my day. Did I ever tell you about when I was trying to get Jake to really get all the snot out of his nose that I actually told him "That was a really good blow job!" Yep out of the mouths of moms.

Heidi O said...

Thank you.

Beth said...

LMAO! I'll never be able to say a-hole with a straight face again.

Mama Mia said...

I am CRACKING UP!