Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Potty Training

I have good news to report. Today was the first day that Michael went to school without a pull-up on. We have been working hard on potty training since our return from Disney World. First we used a sticker chart to get him to stop being stubborn about peeing in the potty. It worked. Next, we used a sticker chart to get him to stop being stubborn about poohing in the potty. It worked. Encouraged by the results, I spoke with his teacher, who confirmed that he was staying dry in his pull-ups, and we decided to go for it. This morning I changed out his backup clothes from winter to summer and delivered some spare pairs of dinosaur underwear to school.

It's going to be a real challenge for him today. In addition to starting water play today, which will be exciting and distracting, the summer program has also started. There will be at least four new kids in his class today. I hope he can handle the added stress on top of having to make sure he has no accidents. I'm interested to find out how things go.

On the other side of things, Michael has had several suspicious accidents in the past week. The first one I didn't even know about at first. I got Michael up, carried him down stairs and changed him, so I know his pull-up was not full, nor where his sleep shorts wet. However, that evening when I went up to his room, I noticed a smell. I checked his bed, and sure enough, there was a dried spot on his sheets. Odd.

On Sunday morning Michael woke at 6:00 am. I went in and asked him for ten more minutes. (Sometimes he falls back to sleep. Can you blame me?) He called me in at 6:09 and he had wet the bed. Once again, the pull-up was fine. I had checked the night before and I knew that everything was tucked properly, so the accident was very curious.

This morning, he had an accident in the living room while wearing a pull-up as well. A mostly dry pull-up. And in light of recent events, I'm positive that everything was positioned properly in the pull-up. At this point, the only curious thing about this is why he's intentionally peeing out the side of his pull-up.

I have no idea what he's trying to do here. Is it for attention? I've been very low key about it. I get him changed, and then go right back to whatever I was doing. This morning I cleaned him up quickly, and then turned to clean the sofa cushion with the Bissle hand held. He hates the sound of that, so I'm hoping he didn't find any of the process rewarding.

So, on one side of things, he's doing better than ever with potty training. I'm feeling pretty confident that I won't be sending him to college in diapers. On the other side of things, he's intentionally peeing on things when I'm not around. I'm not sure how to handle it, all I know is that I don't want to make it worse. Do you think spraying him on the nose with a squirt bottle will work?

6 comments:

LauraC said...

I was JUST saying that to Jon when we had squirt bottles out with the slip n slide!

YAY for potty success!!

Maria said...

Would something fun to pee on in the toilet help? Like fruit loops as targets? Maybe he'd look forward to that, and want to do it? I don't know, but I think if I was a boy, I would want to pee on everything just because I could...

Lindsay said...

I'm with Maria! And the squirt bottle comment totally made me LOL, although M might actually think that was fun!

When you first tweeted about that accident, the idea that he had done it on purpose didn't even occur to me!

Steph said...

Hooray for pt success. Not sure what to tell you about the random accidents, I would love to know if the squirt bottle works! :)

Karen said...

We have been having quite a few random accidents here recently and Michael has been PT for over a year. Of course, ours could be related to all that has been going on over the past few days!

Beth said...

LOL with your final comment. You crack me up! I think you're playing this one right by ignoring it and not giving him attention. But what do I know? Go with your instincts and reassess if it doesn't stop. It's kind of funny, really. But maybe only because it's not my kid! LOL.