Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Is it a wolf or a virus?

That's a strange question isn't it? I can tell you why I'm asking it, but so far, I don't know the answer.

Michael just finished up the last of his antibiotics on Sunday night. After all my complaining, the second half of the doses went down shockingly easy. So easy, in fact, that I didn't want to say anything for fear of jinxing it. When he took the last dose, we all cheered and I promised Michael I'd take him out and buy him a piggy bank. End of story, right?

Right?

Please, please please be the end of the story.

I picked Michael up from my mom's yesterday and by the time we got home he was complaining that his ear hurt. Not the one that was infected. The other one. I can understand the infected ear not healing due to drug resistance, but for him to actually get a new ear infection while on antibiotics seemed unlikely.

But Michael was very cranky and very sensitive. He insisted that his ear hurt. I tried tricking him into revealing that he was making it up by pretending it was the other ear, but he was consistent. I took his temperature. 98.6. I wasn't 100% convinced he was sick, but decided to take him to the doctor just in case.

She pronounced him healthy. Ears clear, throat clear, nose has boogers. He giggled and we returned home.

I'd been played.

I put him to bed and went about my evening. At 8:30 he woke up sobbing. Andy went in to find out what was wrong, but Michael didn't know. Andy got him settled again, and then Michael woke up again at 9:30 sobbing. I went in and tried to find out what was wrong. He said he didn't know again. I asked if something hurt and he pointed to his throat. I offered him Motrin and he freaked out.

Umm...what do I do?

I decided to cuddle and rock him for a few minutes and then I got him settled back to bed. I fully expected to end up sleeping on his floor during the night, and I figured either Andy and I would have to take today off to spend with a sick kid.

Nope. Michael slept through the night. He was a little cranky about getting up, and cried about not wanting to go to school, but nothing worse than normal. Part of me feels that he's actually sick and that I shouldn't have sent him to school, but his temperature is fine and the doctor gave him a clean bill of health.

To be honest, I really expected to get a call from the school today to come and get him. He's been there for 8 hours and we haven't heard anything yet.

I'm very interested to see what he's like this evening when piggy bank shopping comes around. Will he be sick? Will he be healthy?

Who knows? He could be playing wolf. He could be sick. Only time will tell.

6 comments:

LauraC said...

I understand your pain. We basically had sick kids for two straight years. Nate actually took FIVE rounds of antibiotics in a row and his double ear infections didn't clear up. But really, as soon as they got healthy, it was about a week until they caught something else. It was a terrible neverending cycle that made for two of the most stressful years of my life.

Then they built up enough immunity that they have rarely been sick the last two years (even with colds) so I feel like it's worth the effort. But it doesn't make it any easier! Hang in there!

Mama Mia said...

I hope he is alright!!

Steph said...

I am not sure which is the worse option to deal with- a sick child or the one who is so smart he can pretend to be sick?

I hope its neither and was just a fluke!

Mel said...

I think you deserve a break for awhile, so I hope he is just fine:) Have fun piggy bank shopping!

Karla said...

:( I hope Michael is ok!

Julie said...

I have been played before. I was impressed with her acting skills.

We are in the same place as you with the endless colds. Luckily, no EIs, but boogers, sore throats, coughing and antibiotics for me on this one b/c mine morphed into bronchitis. Its summer, right?

Hope Michael is feeling better soon, that is, if he is actually sick.