Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Moment of Parental Restraint

Michael has been in a very sweet and lovey kind of mood lately and I'm really enjoying it. It involves lots of hugs and kisses, demands for snuggles, and exuberant exclamations of "I Love You!" I never expected this level of affection from him, and I have to say that it is really wonderful.

At times, though, it does cross over into the realm of clingy. Which I deal with because...well...hugs and kisses rock.

Anyway, last night I was making dinner when Michael realized he needed to pee. He grabbed himself and ran to the bathroom. When he got there he found that the light was off and ran back to ask me to turn it on. (Because he's afraid of the dark, even though the light from the hall is bright enough.)

I stirred dinner and ran to turn the light on for him. Then I ran back to the stove.

He comes running out again asking for me to pull his pants down for him. A silly request, but I don't want him to pee on the floor or to burn dinner, so I run in behind him and pull down his pants.

I knew that he was just doing this to get my attention, and I was both amused and annoyed by it. I was so tempted to ask sarcastically if he wanted me to hold it for him too, but like the good mommy that I am, I bit my tongue and left him to take care of business. I rolled my eyes and headed back into the kitchen to wash my hands and finish up dinner.

Granted, this isn't mother of the year kind of stuff, but sometimes taking the high road with a 4 year old at least deserves a pat on the back.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Good job! Not sure I would have been able to hold back.

London said...

*snickers*

Batman has his moments these days where he acts like he can't do things that he's always done for himself, like pull down his pants and undies to go potty. I suspect that it has something to do with having a baby sister now who gets everything done for her.