Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Special Blog Meet Up - About time too!

Most of my blog friends are friends from Baby Center. That's where we all hung out when we we pregnant and when our kiddos were babies. Then, drama happened and they transitioned to a new format, and almost everyone drifted away and the conversation continued through a bunch of blogs (and Facebook and Twitter). But, back in the early days on Baby Center, one mom started a post titled "Do you ever feel like a thread killer?" She was lamenting the fact that any time she posted on a thread, it died. She was a great poster, but I think her timing was always bad. So, people started posting. Somewhere along the line, the thread turned into an attempt to be the last person to post on the thread. You know, to be the official killers of the thread killer's thread.

I'm proud to say, that over three years later, that still hasn't happened. Yes, Baby Center changed formats and closed that thread, but the two remaining posters started a new one on the new format. When that thread was closed down after 1000 posts, we started another one. Now, over 4000 posts later, we are still going.

So, who are the two stubborn mommies who are still trying to kill the thread?

Photobucket

That would be Karen and I. We have had an ongoing conversation since our Michael's were less than a year old. We each log on about 5 times a week and for me it's been like having a really cool chick sitting next to me at work that I look forward to chatting with everyday. You know, the one you complain about your husband, coworkers, Mother in Laws and such with.

We have a number of things in common, which I think drew us together on that thread long ago. We were both working Mom's who were breastfeeding and pumping at work. We both grew up at the Jersey Shore (Karen's the real deal and I was a summer transplant). We get Guido jokes and feel that Amoroso makes the best hoagie rolls ever. We are close in age, our husbands are both big kids that love video games. And, we were also the only two mom's on Baby Center that had sons named Michael.

Karen and family typically come up my way each summer, but we have never been able to make a meet up happen before. Their schedule is packed, I've burned my sick time, you name it, it's happened. But this year, we managed to make it work.

And this is how it turned out.


Photobucket

It was so easy sitting down to dinner with them. Like I've found with other blog meet-ups, it's like we have always known each with just a little added something for being able to hear Karen's voice and see her smile (instead of emoticons...which I use to many of.) Karen and her family were pretty much just how I expected them to be. It was a fun, and crazy dinner, and it certainly was not enough time together...but we'll work something out in the future.

I think the best part for me of the get together was seeing our boys together. While my Michael is pretty sociable, he does normally need a little time to warm up to people. Not this time. The two Michael's clicked instantly. The laughed and played the entire time like they've been best buddies for years. It was really adorable to see. I know my Michael was sad when it was time for them to go.

The other fun part about the two boys together was that from behind, they looked alike. They are almost the same height, they are both tall and slender, and they both have blond hair. Add the fact that they have the same name, and it was like having carbon copies running around. It totally cracked me up.

I'm so glad that I had a chance to meet another one of the wonderful women I've meet on the internet. Karen was everything I expected her to be, and I can't wait until we can get together again.

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yea! And I never put 2+2 together on the thread-killing bit. Ha!

LauraC said...

Hell yeah. May06 BBC moms 4eva.

One thing I always feel like I missed is the first year of BBC because I never had time or energy to post that often. The only thing I remember if you had a pic of a roll of duct tape that you would bust out every once in awhile as a suggestion to quiet children. That still makes me laugh.

Mama Mia said...

Aw, how awesome

Mel said...

You are both so cute -and the Michael's too! So funny about the thread killers. I can't believe that is STILL going HA HA! Nobody can accuse either one of you of thread murder!

Karla said...

That's great!!

Stacey said...

I'm so happy you guys had a chance to meet! How fun. BBC moms do rock!!

Beth said...

I didn't know Karen was the thread killer! That's too funny. And I can't believe you guys are still on BBC! I love it. I can't wait to meet both of you IRL. Joanna--soon. Karen--we'll have to figure it out! I love that the Michael's got along so well.

Karen said...

Loved meeting you too and looking forward to the next time!! So glad that the boys got along well.

Julie said...

This post made me smile :) Love it!

I didn't know you and Karen were the thread killers and WOW its still going!!

Kara said...

I love reading about BBC mom meet-ups! I'll admit I am jealous though....