Friday, September 10, 2010

Why you little...

Last night Michael and I went over to check on my mom and do some chores for her. While Michael has been pretty good over the past few months, he still gets a little punchy when he's over tired or hungry. (A lot like him mommy, actually.) Between staying up too late this past weekend and the stress of transitioning to a new room at school, he wasn't on his best behavior last night.

The elevator in my mom's apartment is really slllooowww, so it's not uncommon for us to have to stand waiting for a few minutes. Normally, Michael stands right next to me and waits patiently. Sometimes, he'll explore a little, but he rarely goes very far from me. Last night was not one of those times.

When we got there, we could hear music coming down the hall. I think someone was playing music in the gym, but it was clear to me that wherever the music was coming from, it was behind a closed door. Michael was not satisfied with that explanation so he started off down the hall to investigate.

"Michael, please come back here."

Michael kept walking.

"Michael, come back. The elevator is almost here."

He kept walking.

"Michael! Come here!"*

Michael stopped and turned around. With the most indignant tone I've ever heard from a small child he said, "Mom. I heard you." Then, he turned back around and started back down the hall.

I just stood there with my mouth hanging open for a moment asking myself if my four-year-old had just given me attitude for expecting him to acknowledge me.

"Michael, if you don't come here, you won't get get any Scooby Doo books read to you at bedtime." That worked. But, it seems that some lessons in respect are called for.

Little stinker...



*It's really not surprising that everyone at the apartment complex knows who Michael is, is it?

5 comments:

Beth said...

D'Oh! I tried explaining "respect" to William and I did a lousy job of it.

Mama Mia said...

That is WAY too funny!

Mel said...

Four can be such a sweet age, until they decide to break out the "tude." LOL!

Stacey said...

We experienced a mild version of the kinder, gentler four for about three weeks and jumped right into attitude problem four. Cole's latest trick is repeating what we say to him. I say, "Cole, you are lying" and he says, "NO! YOU ARE LYING!"

I swear, one day they will defeat us.

Julie said...

The attitude and disrespect is abundant over here and its driving me crazy. It pushes my buttons like none other.