Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Good Busy

Hey, check this out, I have a blog! Who knew?

Seriously, I know I've been pretty lax recently. I've intended to post a number of times, but life just keeps getting in the way. Not all of it was good. That 5-6 week long illness really killed me. But some of it is good. I've been very busy at work, which is always a good thing for me. I prefer to be busy. And some of it has been awesome! This post will be about some of the awesome.

My company has a very prestigious award that goes out to about 15 teams for highly successful projects. It's a very, very big deal and the winners get a nice trip to a company location, several days of paid hotel and travel, and an amazing award ceremony.

I did not win this award. Instead, I did the only thing I could to ensure that I would get to attend. I served on the planning and selection committee. Andy didn't get to fly for free, but everything else was covered. I did have to work for part of the trip, but that still gave us time to have fun and eat way too much yummy food.

So, where did we go?

I'll give you a hint.

Photobucket

We went to San Antonio! San Antonio is a little different than the other parts of Texas that I've been to. For most places, everything really is bigger in Texas. Including their spiders. Ewww. But that's not true in San Antonio. The houses seemed tiny, the roads seemed tiny, and the Alamo was just an itty bitty little thing. I'm not sure if this is acceptable for my Texas readers, but the Alamo was just the cutest thing I've ever seen. Very dainty and quaint looking. I loved it, but that sure wasn't what I was expecting.

In other ways, San Antonio was just like the rest of Texas. If you have never been there, one thing that Texas likes to do is remind you that you are in Texas at all times. "Texas", "Lone Star", and other symbols of Texas are everywhere you turn. Including, breakfast.


Photobucket

Trust me, you will never see a waffle shaped like Pennsylvania if you come visit. That's just not our thing. (You might get one shaped like the Liberty Bell, but that is our thing.)

After working the event check-in, Andy and I got to attend the very nice award ceremony and dinner. This was the first time since prom that I had an reason to by a cocktail dress, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Here is me in the dress.
Photobucket

There was only one problem with my outfit. My shoes were a tad loose. This would not have been a problem, however I was on my feet through the ceremony so I could gather the winning teams and direct them to their places. Not the best time to discover that my shoes didn't want to stay on my feet. The good news is that I didn't loose a shoe or trip. The bad news is that I almost sent the wrong team up on stage in front of a large number of executives. Luckily, I caught my mistake in time, and managed to correct things before a disaster. Phew.

Like I said, Andy got to come along. Even better than me getting to wear a pretty dress, I got to see Andy dressed in a suit.

Photobucket

He looked even better in real life.

Unfortunately, the only pictures that were taken of us didn't come out well at all. Here is the best one.




Photobucket

Don't worry, I lost the wrap in about 30 seconds. It was chilly in their at first, but with over 400 people in the room, it warmed up quickly.

After the award ceremony, we were on our own for most of the remaining time. We made sure to hit the River Walk several times. Everyone told me to check it out, but I didn't understand until we actually got there and saw it. Basically, there are a series of canals that run through the city. They sit below street level and are lined with a beautiful stone walk, shops, and restaurants. It's like stepping out of Texas and entering Venice. I didn't snap many pictures, but I did try to catch some of the Christmas lights on night.

Photobucket

It was absolutely beautiful. But it wasn't the only place we visited. We also hit Natural Bridge Caverns. I've never been to a cave before, so I didn't know quiet what to expect. The caverns were amazing, and I wish we could have gone on the second tour to see more. I was amazed at just how large the rock formations were.


Photobucket

That "throne" was about two stories high!

Photobucket

Unfortunately, most of the pictures I took didn't come out very well. But let me just say that if you are ever in San Antonio, I would highly recommend checking the caverns out.

Overall, it was a wonderful weekend. Not only did I get some much needed sleep, I got to finally spend some quality time with Andy. Can you imagine? Four days without being interrupted by "mommy, mommy, mommy." What a treat.

8 comments:

Andy said...

It was awesome being alone with you for an entire weekend. The Riverwalk was neat, but I wished we'd had enough time to let me talk myself into the ziplines at the caverns. Notice the tour guide didn't have an accent

Maria said...

Yay you're back! Missed you! Glad you guys got to have some time together. (Can't wait to hear what Lindsay has to say about your Alamo comment!) Also, you looked smokin' in that dress!

Deanna said...

I've been wondering where you went (in bloggy land)! San Antonio (or San Antone as we called it growing up) is about an hour from my old stomping grounds. I'm glad y'all had fun! And yes, we like to make the Alamo sound bigger than it is!

And that dress? Perfect-o!! You looked great!

Lindsay said...

Yeah, the Alamo is always surprisingly small when you first see it. =) I like San Antonio for tourists to get a "Texas" experience in one stop. Would you believe I've never been to the Natural Bridge Caverns? As much road-tripping we did as kids, I can't believe we didn't go there. Glad you liked it!

Cacey said...

I've been wondering when you would get back to blogging. What a fun trip, I've been to San Antonio once before and I remember really liking it! Love the dress, you looked fabulous!

JenFen said...

I've missed your blog posts but so glad that you have been busy at work and that you got to have what sounds like a fab weekend away in San Antonio. And you look amazing in that dress.

Stacey said...

Sounds like a great trip! You look stunning in that dress. This post actually makes me want to visit Texas again.

Beth said...

Yay for an awesome trip! And yeah--you looked fabulous!!!