Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It couldn't be

After wearing the same glasses for several years, I got a new pair back in January. It was a necessity really. Years of Michael attacks had pretty much destroyed the old pair. They were so bad that I had to tighten one of the screws to keep the lens from falling out. Come to think of it, it's amazing nothing ever happened to the lens considering all the times it did fall out.

I love that the current style for glasses is the fairly narrow frames. After those multicolored, marbled plastic monstrosities in the eighties, sleek and simple is a big improvement. The problem with narrow lenses, however, is that there is always a little too much peripheral vision that's compromised.

With my old glasses, the week spot was always the area above the lenses. It wasn't a big deal, but it did make recognizing people who were coming down the stairs at work difficult to identify while I was heading up. I got called on it a few times, which leads me to believe that I may have occasionally walked right past someone I knew. Oops.

Anyway, when I got the new glasses over the winter, I discovered that their bad spot is under the lenses. On occasion, I would notice that I couldn't see something if I was looking down, and would have to adjust my head to get whatever it was into the field of view of the lenses. It was an annoying adjustment, but at least I wasn't failing to acknowledge people that I've known for ten years.

At some point, the motion became automatic, and I didn't seem to notice problems anymore. It was a nice. But, it didn't seem to last long. Recently, I've been noticing it more often, particularly when I've been filing down my fingernails as they do their annual cold, dry weather disintegration. I've also had to make adjustment to see my iPhone and when Michael holds things up in my face. I've actually been thinking of getting a new pair of glasses that have a little more coverage.

That's when something dawned on me. I'm not having trouble seeing things that are far away. These things are actually close up. And the adjustment? I'm not shifting my head down to get the object focused through the lenses. The adjustment is actually me moving my hands away about 2 or 3 inches.

OMG! It's not my glasses. It's my eyes. And it's not my nearsightedness. It's Presbyopia! You know, that thing that happens to your eyes as you age. But, but, but...I'm not even forty yet. That's not supposed to happen until your...wait, when is that supposed to happen?

So, after wondering about it for a week or so, I finally decided that I needed to find out if my eyesight could really be going old lady. I asked my sister if she's noticed her close up vision going. Sure enough, she has. Her advice? She simply said that I should accept that I'm getting old and go out and buy myself a pair of sparkly readers.

Sigh. I guess she's right. Eventually I'll need to get readers. However, I already wear glasses, so that will be a big nuisance. For now, it's not so bad that I can't just handle it with the arm adjustment. In fact, based on how long my arms are, I think I've got about another 13 or 14 inches to go before I need to suck it up and take the bifocal dive.

4 comments:

Beth said...

LOL Joanna. Isn't that what bifocals are for? I wouldn't know, what with having perfect vision and all. Even at the ripe old age of 38! Hee hee hee.

Deanna said...

My hubby bought cheaters about two months ago - begrudginly. He's so darn cute in them. He'd get me to try them on and I'd nay-nay the notion stating that at my fountain of youth age I don't need such accoutrements. Well, I'll be darned if I didn't pick up the stupid things and wear them two days ago to read the label on the back of a jar - and they really helped. He saw me and started to smirk and I gave him a stern glare over the top of the glasses and said, "Shut.Up." I'm almost positive the minimum age for cheater glasses isn't 31.

LauraC said...

BIFOCALS old lady.

Andy said...

Time for laser surgery. That way you get rid of the nearsightedness, and then give into the readers. I don't think I wanna see you running around with those old lady glasses on a beaded chain like Aunt Bea.