Monday, December 6, 2010

Randomness - The Good and the Bad

We had a nice, festive weekend. I'm slowly getting myself into the holiday cheer, with hopes that it will pick up speed and I'll be motivated to host a great Christmas dinner again this year. At this point, since Michael is the only child on both Andy and my sides, he's really the only one that's tons of fun to shop for. Everyone else, not so much.

So, since I'm not fully festive yet, I'm just going to do some randmoness...with a twist. The good and the bad of each item.

  • Our township held it's annual Christmas parade on Saturday. We walked down to the corner and snuggled up in blankets and watched as some police cars, scout troops, a band, and the fire trucks went by. The Good: We were at the beginning of the route so cub scouts kept dumping candy into Michael's lap. It was as exciting as Halloween for him. The Bad: We have more candy canes than Santa's workshop.
  • I did actually rush out and buy a copy of Eclipse on Saturday since I hadn't seen the movie in the theater. The Bad: The movie was really bad. Andy kept cracking jokes, and I think he felt guilty for "ruining" it for. However, his cracks were the best part of the movie. The Good: I paid less for the DVD than if we had seen it in the theater, so hey I wasted less money by waiting.
  • I started my Christmas shopping last night around 7:00. The Good: The mall was dead, so I had the best customer service ever. The Bad: There is really nothing interesting at the mall, so I didn't really make a dent in my shopping list.
  • Michael loves the XBox Kinect. I mean he loves it. We played it at least an hour or two every day since we got it. The Good: Unlike the Wii, this thing really results in a great aerobic workout. It's great for burning off that 4.5 year old energy that it's too cold to burn outside. The Bad: He insists that I play with him. I'm a little sore.
  • Somehow I've become the Christmas cookie queen. It started within my family, but I made the mistake of bringing cookies in to work, and I now have a reputation to maintain. I'm expected to provide everyone's old favorites, but also to try a few new cookies each year. The Bad: I have a cookie dough problem. I love raw cookie dough and end up eating way too much with every batch that I make. This does not jive with my weight maintenance goals for the year. Plus, I'm probably due for a case of salmonella. The good: OMG. COOKIE DOUGH!!!!!
Hmm, there is probably more I could say, but I think I should head over to the Pioneer Woman and see if these might join the list this year.

13 comments:

Andy said...

So I'm not fun to shop for? I've got the tastes of a kid and I like fun toys;) the mall was dead because you were there at 8:00 on Sunday. I bet all the employees hated that you were there, kinda like when we worked at the bookstore and didn't like it when people were there way early or way late on weekends.

Andy said...

Plus I find it more fun to shop for you than Michael. I can only deal with looking at dinosaur and trains for so long before I get bored outta my mind.

Andy said...

Looked at the cookie recipe and I think these will go over as well as that corn & rice dish that got thrown out, or those herb rolls that were too overwhelming for eating with a meal. Please no more Pionner woman recipes!

Joanna said...

Dude, you need to get back to work.

LauraC said...

I am posting my recipe for this cookie exchange tomorrow:

http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2010/12/cookie-exchange-ultimate-ginger-cookie.html

Post yours!

PS. Andy has a point about the PW corn and wild rice dish. We made it and wouldn't eat it either. But the mashed potatoes? TO DIE FOR.

Joanna said...

And the CRASH HOT POTATOES!

Andy said...

Crash potatoes are good, but can't think of other PW stuff you've tried has been worth repeating. Think there's been more treasures from Rachael Ray.

Deanna said...

Laughing at my desk! I love that Andy comments!

Crash hot potatoes are a hit here, too. Christmas cookies at our house include: sugar cookies, chocolate crinkle cookies, snickerdoodle, pecan sandies, and oatmeal.

And glad to hear your thoughts on Eclipse. I might rent it this weekend on PPV but I didn't have high hopes - the books were soooo much better. Glad I didn't spend the money to go to the theatre.

Stacey said...

Since my niece was sick for two weeks possibly due to raw cookie dough I can't bring myself to eat it, but oh how I miss it!

I love that Andy's hating on Pioneer Woman.

JenFen said...

First I feel so redeemed. Everyone on FB jumped down my throat when I said I thought that Eclipse was not very good. I thought they did a much better job adapting New Moon, which was the hardest to make into a movie. Eclipse could have been so much more.

And on the cookie dough, my understanding is that you can only get sick from eating pre-prepared cookie dough. The stuff you make yourself shouldn't be a problem except that I am like you - I eat way to much of it when Joe is baking.

JenFen said...

Okay just looked it up and I had that backwards about the cookie dough. Oops. Sorry. That just sucks.

Maria said...

Pioneer Woman Cinnamon Rolls are totally the best thing ever. You've got to try them, but be prepared to give a ton away, even a half recipe makes almost four pans full!

Karen said...

I love eating cookie dough too! I have already been to one cookie exchange and looking forward to one more. Then my annual baking will commence for gifts, etc.