Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bouncing Baby Boy

Having a son leads to many experiences that I never expected to have, and to be honest, I don't always understand. The feminist in me wants to reject the idea that boys and girls are different and that most of the behavioral differences we see are the product of our cultural influences. Then, Michael tries to wiggle his naked hiney in my face and I wonder if boys are just naturally gross. Maybe girls are naturally gross too, but I don't have a daughter, so I don't know about it.

On Saturday morning, while I was eating my cereal and watching TV, Michael climbed up next to me and tried to place something onto my head. The next thing I know, an entire stack of Lego Ninjago cards plopped smack into my cereal. As I was wiping each card down and lying them out to dry, I wondered just what was going through Michael's mind when he decided that he simply had to put those cards on top of my head. I also couldn't help but reflect on the fact that I never expected to use the knowledge I gained during my college senior thesis on the conservation and preservation of library materials to help preserve the pristine condition of a bunch Nija fighting cards.

That was the only time over the weekend that I got to experience the strange nature of boys. At one point I came into the living room to discover Andy and Michael having a Nerf sword fight. Andy had gotten creative and had jury rigged shields for each of them to use. Andy had a lap desk strapped to his arm, which served as a suitable replacement for a shield. Michael, on the other hand, had a very strange shield. Andy had taken Michael's bumble bee Pillow Pet and tied it to Michael's arm with a scarf. As a mom, sword fights don't come to mind when I think of play. Clearly, based on the well thought out bumble bee shield, it is something that dad's give more than a moments thought to.

I love the different perspective I get from living in an all male house hold. I never expected to find myself petting a dinosaur at 6:00 am in the morning, but I like it. Sure, things can get a little rough from time to time, but overall, having a son is awesome. Do I sometimes miss out on dressing up like princesses and playing Barbies? Not really. But, if I insist upon matching Michael's camo pants with Diego underwear and his Spiderman shirt Marvel underwear, I'm sure you can understand why.

3 comments:

Andy said...

He put the cards on your head because you were paying more attention to your breakfast than you were to him. That's why he was bouncing on the couch behind you before he put them there. And I'm not the one encouraging the gross stuff by laughing at him when he does it ;p

JenFen said...

Glad I cracked the whip and forced you out of hiding on Twitter. LOL!

I love the ingenuity of using lap desks and pillow pets for swords. Dads can be much better at that kind of stuff. And Jadyn does the gross stuff too, but then maybe that is because she has Jake leading the way.

Stacey said...

I think, as a rule, kids are gross. My niece (who may or may not have been encouraged by her adoring aunt) is the most gross-obsessed person in the family.

I seem to get a fair amount of princess play in with my boy, and we somehow have inherited a naked Barbie. I keep hiding her and she keeps returning. It's disturbing.

I will say that things are changing here though. The other day Cole's cousin wanted him to come to her place to play princesses and he said, "Not again!! I like HANDSOME things now."