Monday, January 17, 2011

Brain Failure

My brain doesn't always work that well, and as I'm getting older and busier, it seems to be occurring more often than I'd like to admit.

In this case, it has to do with the eye strain that I've been dealing with for several months. At my eye appointment a few weeks ago, I learned that my glasses were a bad prescription and the the adjustment for my astigmatism was off. As a result, my eyes often hurt by the end of the day.

Due to weather, I wasn't able to get to the glasses store right away. Every extra day with sore eyes really seemed unnecessary, so a finally managed to get some time and went in and picked out new lenses. At which point I learned that it would take 10 days to get the glasses made.

10 days! 10 days! That's 10 days of unnecessary pain. There was nothing I could do about it. Best just to suck it up and deal with it. 10 days isn't that long.

A few days later, as I was looking for some make-up in the big bin under the sink where I keep all my castaways, I started pulling out old glasses cases. Five in total. Each one housed a pair of glasses that I used to wear without any eye pain. One pair has a lens that pops out. One pair has a scratch on the right lens. One pair is ugly as sin. None of them are the ideal pair of glasses, but none of them hurt my eyes to wear. So, I tried them all on and decided to go with the ones with the scratch.

What do you know, after several days of wearing them, I'm dealing with much less eye pain. Awesome!

The only thing that would have been more awesome would have been if this had occurred to me when I learned about the prescription problem of with the current glasses. I could have saved myself two weeks of pain.

Let's just file this one under D'oh!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I had to get glasses a few months ago (very minor prescription) after a successful Lasik surgery in January 2001. I guess almost 10 years of perfect vision was worth the 3K :-) But I only have to wear them for driving & watching TV. Here's hoping my astigmatism doesn't come back too!

Cacey said...

I seriously just read your post title as "bran failure". Damn I hate it when my bran fails too!

LOL talk about brain failure.