Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hello Internet, I've Sort of Missed You

Wow, two weeks with no blogging. I feel a little like I dropped of the face of the earth over the holidays. It was a much needed break, and I'm thankful for the time spent with my family. But, I also do miss my blogs and blogging.

We ended the year pretty much the same way as we started it. Michael ran a fever for six days before Christmas, which forced me to take the sick time I had just earned back. (I earn a day a month for 10 months, and then two months without. Not the easiest system to have when you have a kid in daycare.) I could have been really angry and resented the time, but instead, when Michael would wake up at 6:00 am on the two days it was just the two of us, I simply brought him into bed with me and we snuggled for several hours. It was a very sweet way to spend the mornings, and a nice way for me to relax before the crazy holidays.

Michael's fever finally broke, and he was healthy through Christmas and New Year's Eve. Christmas morning with a 4.5 year old is so full of excitement and joy, that I couldn't help but be excited myself. I really enjoyed watching him open his gifts and seeing the joy on his face. At one point, he even mentioned that he needed to thank Santa for all the great gifts. I think Santa liked hearing that. *wink*

Santa also treated me very well and I got the Kindle I had asked for, as well as some winter running clothes that I really needed. Oh, and I got chocolate, and iTunes gift cards, and a bunch of other little luxuries that make life a bit more pleasant. (Like beer and puzzles.)

New Year's, on the other hand, isn't really a 4.5 year old's kind of holiday. So, my mom watched Michael for us and Andy and I spent the evening with some friends. It was a nice evening getting to be grown-ups for a few hours.

And, that's about it. Two weeks off and you would think I'd have lots of stuff to talk about, but we really didn't do that much during the break. It was really just a time to be together, recharge, and enjoy a little peace and quiet. Kind of like taking a big pause in all the craziness of our lives and building up our reserves for the next round of life that picks up with the New Year.

True to form, it started off with tons of fun. Michael woke up with another mystery fever on Sunday morning, and I dropped my car off at the shop later in the day because it had a few lights on that shouldn't be on. (Is it a bad idea to ignore the "Maintenance Required" light for a month?) Sigh...everything old is new again. Same year, different... But, my tweeps pointed out that the germs and the car problems were from 2010, so I'm going to go with that and head into the new year with a positive attitude. The very small bill for minor work on my car helped to keep me happy, and Michael's temperature was down this morning, so I hope we are good to go. If not, at least I'll have plenty to blog about this year.

And of course, I must touch on the New Years resolution topic. I don't have any. I have health and fitness goals, and I'll get to those in a different post. But no, I have no resolutions for this year.

So, there you have it. A completely boring welcome back post with no funny stories or interesting resolutions that I'll fail at spectacularly. I guess I'll just have to do a simple "Happy New Year". I've missed all my blogging friends and I can't wait to jump back into the web.

9 comments:

Andy said...

Michaels fever started again on Saturday, which was 2011, so they're new year germs. The car on the otherhand was 2010 issue. Hopefully the BS about 1 year in daycare takes hold cause it's officially one year. So now magically he'll be disease free. At least according to Internet experts ;)

Joanna said...

His fever started on Sunday while he and I were grocery shopping. However, he would most likely have gotten the germs at school on Wednesday, which was 2010.

Beth said...

While you two figure things out (LOL), I'll just say welcome back! We missed you too!

Kara said...

LOL! Welcome back!

LauraC said...

Welcome back!
And Andy should know this internet expert thinks it takes two full cold and flu seasons to catch all the illnesses. My super deluxe technical theory is that you would catch them all the first cold and flu season but you miss so much school that you miss some of the viruses.

JenFen said...

LOL! Now that Andy is commenting on your posts, the comment section is just as entertaining as the post itself. I love it. And welcome back.

Stacey said...

I'm glad you're back, and I have to agree with Jen about your comment section.

My psychic powers say 2011 will be a much healthier year for you.

Mel said...

Happy New Year. Glad you are back. Yay for the Christmas Kindle! Hope Michael feels better!

Andy said...

You know when I stopped missing school because of being sick? It was freshman year of HS when they threatened to hold me back because it was January and I'd already missed 18 days. From that point on I didn't miss a day of school & I haven't missed a day of work in over 10 years.