Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Move It 2011

Last week in my "I don't do resolutions" post, I mentioned that I do set fitness goals for myself. I spent a good deal of time thinking about my goals for this year, and this is what I came up with.

1. I'm competing in the Move It 2011 Challenge. Last year I participated in the 500 in 2010 challenge, and it was a great experience for me. It really drove me to get my miles in each week, and I hit the target in September (even with all the miles I lost due to the poor tracking on our old elliptical.) The problem with the challenge was something that anyone with project management is familiar with; you get what you measure. I measured miles, therefore I maximized my workout time to get miles in. To the exclusion of any resistance training.

The thing is, I need to do resistance training. So as soon as I hit 500 miles last year, I stopped tracking miles and started doing some ab work. This is the direction that I want to got this year, so I decided that I will not track miles this year. Instead, I'm going to track exercise minutes. The Move It 2011 time goal is 125 hours of exercise. That will not challenge me to the extent I want, so my modified goal is 175 hours. That equals 3.4 hours of exercise a week for 50 weeks. I think this is realistic, but will require diligence to hit.

2. Goal two is to run a 10k. That's twice as far as last year's 5K goal. I can already run a little over 4 miles, so this is also realistic. I plan on doing a straight 10K in either the summer or fall. However, the mud run crazies are contagious. Andy wants to do one. So he did a little research and came up with the Philly Mud Run for the MS Society. I'll post more about the run later, like the fact that people can provide donations to the MS Society as our sponsors. For now, I'm just going to say that it's a 10K mud run and I agreed to run it with Andy in June.

I think I might be crazy, but it's a good crazy, right? RIGHT?

Never mind, don't answer that.

3. This goal is a little more vague than the others, but I think it's a very good goal. I want to set a good example for Michael, and to do that I've realized that I need to do more than just exercise 4 times a week. I need to be active. I already do a good bit of this, like taking steps instead of the elevator at work, but I want to work being active into my daily routine even more.

There is a reason behind this goal. Emerging research is showing more and more that sitting on our asses for 8 or more hours a day is really bad for us. Even if you exercise regularly, you can still live a mostly sedentary life. There is an excellent series on this topic at Obesity Panacea. It's a 5 part series, but each section is a quick read, so I recommend that you take a little time and check it out. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part5. As a result, I'm going to make more effort to get up and move every hour at work, and to do the same on weekends.

So there you have it folks. 175 hours of exercise this year, a 10K mud run, and even a daily goal to not sit still for too long.

Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Never mind, don't answer that.

5 comments:

Andy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kara said...

Good goals!

Stacey said...

Wait, does the fact that I am on my feet all day at work mean I'm less lazy than I realize?

Yay for raising money for MS! I want to donate to you. Thanks for helping such an important cause.

JenFen said...

I would like to donate when the times comes too. I wish we had more local runs that were combined with a great cause that didn't have a crazy prerequisite amount to raise.

What are you doing for the resistance training/ab work? Just curious.

Good luck with your goals.

Karen said...

Those seem like attainable goals.

That's great that you are doing the mud run for a cause. My grandmom has had MS for over 50 years and I too would like to donate to you.