Thursday, January 6, 2011

Reflections on a Year of Daycare

This week marks a full year since Michael started daycare. I have a lot of thoughts about the subject and I thought this might be a good post for some randomness. Here goes...

  • Daycare Centers are cesspools of contagions. It's not their fault. It's the nose pickers and tornado sneezers fault.
  • It doesn't help if your kid likes to lick random objects.
  • Daycare provides an amazing social learning environment that is well worth the endless colds.
  • This is especially true if you are a geeky introvert who lacks social skills.
  • If your child is a puker, a loft bed may not be the best idea.
  • Really, trust me on this one. I know what I'm talking about.
  • It's a really bad idea to try and figure out how much money you've spent on daycare days that you couldn't use because your child was sick.
  • Damn, I could have had an iPad for that!
  • Watching your child read a book to his entire class during a Halloween party is one of the most amazing feelings of pride you will ever have.
  • Having your child's teacher point out how poorly your child eats is pretty much the exact opposite of that feeling.
  • You might just be surprised that your response to the teacher telling you that your child won't do worksheets for her is, "Great! That means he likes you and is comfortable in your class."
  • But you won't be surprised when your secondary response is, "Crap. It's not even kindergarten yet."
  • It is awesome to walk into the classroom to a huge hug and a declaration of, "I LOVE YOU."
  • It's a little awkward when you look down and realize it's not your kid.
  • And finally, even though you may worry at times if you are doing the right thing for your child, when you walk into the classroom to find the middle aged Indian woman who teaches the class rocking out with the students to the Clash's Rock the Casbah, you'll know that maybe he's in the right place.

8 comments:

Andy said...

It also awesome that he gets to hang out with B and learn all of those wonderful phrases and behaviors. It's also funny that he could've had a girlfriend if he didn't decide that there needed to be a separation between boys and girls, which I think is probably B fault as well.

LauraC said...

Don't even run the math. Trust me (the woman who had infant twins in day care). That's why we held off on buying a second car for so long.

Love this post Joanna, you crack me up!

Kara said...

This post made me lol!

Karen said...

I love to save money but daycare was one area that I just accepted we were going to lose money due to illness.

Love how you highlighted some positives of daycare!

Stacey said...

I'm in a bad spot with tons of illness already in 2011 so I'm down on daycare right now. Not really, I still love it, and more importantly, so does Cameron.

House of Blues said...

This post cracks me up! So so true!! =)

Beth said...

The part about the kid who runs up to you and says I Love You not being your kids is freakin' hysterical and so true!!! LMAO

Julie said...

Hilarious as usual!