Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'm Hungry

One of the biggest mysteries I've wondered about in raising Michael is how can such a tall kid survive on so little food? For those of you with kids that don't eat, you know what I mean. It just doesn't seem possible for a child to be able to survive on several cups of milk and three bites of a piece of bread with butter a day. Not only has Michael proven that he can survive on that, he even grows. Like a weed. Clearly, what he's been eating is enough, but I don't know how it's possible.

Last week, I watched my neighbor's 14 month old accost her for a package of lunch meat and once he got it away from her, he started shoving the meat into his mouth as fast as he could. I watched him eat more food in 10 minutes than Michael would eat in a day when he was that age. I'm not even exaggerating. Amazingly, he's still a tiny little thing. I'm pretty sure Michael was several inches teller at that age.

So imagine my surprise a few weeks ago when Michael actually started saying, "I'm hungry." It's something he says so rarely that I stopped dead in my tracks and asked him to repeat himself. "I'm hungry."

I jumped on that pretty quickly. He downed an entire PB&J (without the crust). Wow! Another night we got take out and he actually asked for chicken fingers for dinner. That was the night that he not only ate some chicken fingers, but he mooched my pizza! He has also downed two bowls of mac 'n cheese in one sitting as well.

It's nice to see him finally starting to eat. He's even branching out and trying noodles that come in different shapes and chicken that is cooked in different ways. Still no luck with veggies, but he's also taken to mooching fruit, so it's not all bad.

Not only do I find this new found desire for food confusing, I think he does as well. Before I made dinner last night I asked him if he was hungry. He gave his normal, "NO!" in response, so I didn't make him anything. After making a quick pot of chili, I called Andy in for dinner. I heard Michael put down his game and watched as he sulked his way into the dinner table. He begrudgingly climbed into his chair and stated that he didn't want to sit there. Since I hadn't cooked dinner for him, Andy and I both told him he didn't need to stay if he didn't want to. Hell, we couldn't even figure out why he had come in to the room in the first place.

So, with tears in his eyes he informed me, "I want Mac n' Cheese!" Turns out, he was hungry. I just don't think he was very happy about it. I mean, how dare his tummy make him get up and sit at the table like the rest of the family. This hunger thing seems to be interfering with his goal to never eat voluntarily. I can't say I'm upset either. I'm glad his own hunger is finally winning the battle for me, because frankly, I was out of ideas.

5 comments:

Beth said...

William has started eating too! I don't want to say too much about it, though, for fear that it will be short-lived--a brief glimpse of what could be--a tease! It's amazing how satisfying it is to watch someone eat ALL of something you've prepared!

LauraC said...

I am on the opposite side, wondering how two shorties can eat SO MUCH and barely grow but are not fat. This morning Alex ate two PB&j sandwiches and a pop tart and a banana for breakfast. With crusts on!

He loves going to IHOP with Jon and Jon mentioned casually Alex eats a ton at IHOP. Saturday night we went there and Alex ate two scrambled eggs, five mini pancakes, all of my hash browns, and two pieces of bacon. Then came home and said he was still hungry.

Yay for eating but boo for food bill.

Mel said...

Analese was eating like that for a while, but she has slowed down. Mariele can eat a 3 egg omelet for breakfast all by herself! She keeps asking for MO. And she is tiny. 25% weight and 20% height. She eats circles around Analese.

Steph said...

That's great he's finally eating... Cooper has been eating more lately too, I had been chalking it up to a growth spurt since he seems to be getting taller each day. Still no luck working pb&j or really bread in general into his normal routine though. Baby steps...

Julie said...

I am new to the picky eating thing and I cannot express how maddening it is for me! I am just not okay with sending my baby to bed with no dinner in her belly. I was totally spoiled with Lana eating everything in sight, but I am feeling your frustration on this one.

I'm glad that Michael is showing an interest in food and is even BRANCHING OUT!!! Yay to that!