Thursday, April 21, 2011

Like Pulling Teeth

Michael has been in part time daycare for over a year now. Next week, he'll be going to full time. I really like the center that he goes to. They are very responsive. Everyone, including the director, knows Michael and appear to truly care about him. They have been very understanding of the changes we have needed to accommodate my mom's medical treatments. It's nice to know that we can count on them.

One thing I don't know, is what Michael does at school. I get reports from his teacher and they post he class schedule. So, I know the structure of his day. I know all of the kids in his class. But, I have no idea what Michael actually does on any given day because he refuses to talk about it. Here's a typical conversation I have with Michael after a daycare day.

Me: Did you have a good day at school today?

Michael: It was great!

Me: That's good. What was so great about it?

Michael: I don't know.

Me: What did you do?

Michael: I don't remember.

Me: We'll did you just sit in a corner all day doing nothing?

Michael: No.

Me: Did you play with anyone?

Michael: Annie.

Me: What did you guys play?

Michael: I don't know.

Me: Did you take a nap?

Michael: Yes, but only a short one.

Me: Why, did someone wake you up?

Michael: I don't know.

Me: Did you have tumble tots?

Michael: Yes.

Me: What did you do.

Michael: I don't remember. I have a magic spell that makes me forget.

Me: Do you have a magic spell that makes you remember?

Michael: No.

Me: Sigh (look over Michael's head and say to Andy) This is like interviewing a hostile witness.

I've tried not asking him in hopes that he'll tell me anyway. I've tried waiting until bedtime to ask about his day. I've tried spacing the questions out. Nothing makes any difference. He just will not tell me about his day.

I guess I just need to get used to it, I can't imagine this will get any better as he gets older.

6 comments:

Carrie77 said...

Nathan will never tell me about his day at school either, unless something VERY exciting happens. Like, this morning, they must have had a very exciting treat at school because he told me about it. Some sort of chocolate covered muffin with an EXPLOSION of icing inside it. Hopefully someday I'll learn more about his day other than EXPLODING muffins. :)

Karen said...

We go through the same thing here. I have try to prompt Michael with tidbits from his daily note and even that's a struggle. I can only imagine what next year is going to be like.

Stacey said...

I can't get any answers either. When Cole's really had it with me he just starts making a bunch of stuff of.

MyWorld said...

My oldest gives me a full report of what she did during the course of her day. The youngest? She tells me, "S pinched my cheeks." "D bit A." "D had cheese and raisins, I want cheese and raisins."

I'll say, "Yes, but what did you do?"

"Nuffin."

Julie said...

Hilarious! I get a full, detailed report before we even get out of the parking lot! But Lana talks more than most adults. Sometimes its a bit much.

LauraC said...

I starred this to come back and leave a comment after my trip! We got the same thing for a long long time so that's why we started asking them to tell us one good thing and one bad thing that happened at school. Usually that gets the ball rolling.