Monday, June 27, 2011

Boston Girls' Weekend

I got together with Laura, Maria, and Steph this weekend in Boston. This is my third May '06 birth board girls' weekend, and they just keep getting better.

I've been doing a Planes, Trains and Automobiles thing for these weekends. I took the train to NYC and a plane to Vegas, so it seemed like an auto was the right way to go for Boston. I don't know why I thought that because I've actually driven in Boston before and I knew what I was getting into. Boston's roads make my stretch marks look organized.

However, I'm really glad that I drove, even if I did tick off a few of the natives with my Philly drive attitude. (I swear, I didn't flip anyone off!)

It's been a long year and I've been very busy, busy, BUSY! Spending the 7 hours on the way up, and 6 hours on the way home by myself was very relaxing. I was able to put my playlist on shuffle and chill for both rides. It was very enjoyable, and did me a world of good.

What also did me a world of good was hanging out with some wonderful ladies. We were there to run Warrior Dash, but on Saturday morning it was way too cold and pouring rain for Warrior Dash to be fun. We were all dressed for hot summer weather, and the thought of being cold and wet for several hours just did not call to us. So, for the day we decided we were shoppers, not warriors.

I guess shopping isn't really what we were doing. Wandering and chatting is a better description. I think one of my favorite times the whole weekend was when we all got some coffee slushies from Dunkin' Donuts and found some benches and just sat and chatted. It was very low key, and was an awesome chance to get to know everyone better.

Of course, the strange thing about these weekends is that there is always someone there that I've never "met" before. The first time, it was really weird to get together with a group of "strangers" and discover that thanks to the internet, we have met and we aren't strangers. This time, Steph was the "stranger" but it didn't even cross my mind until I was falling asleep Friday night and I realized that maybe it's weird for her to share a room with someone she's never "met". For me, it's becoming pretty normal. I was very happy to discover that Steph is as sweet and intelligent as I expected her to be. She was a little taller than I guessed, but I always get that wrong about people. She is certainly another friend that I love having in my tribe (to steal from Laura).

So, we didn't do anything crazy or note worthy. We mostly wandered and talked and laughed and ate. And it was just what I needed. On Sunday, we met up with Liz for a BBQ with her beautiful family, and I pretty much had to force myself to leave. Everyone is so kind and funny and the children were just too cute not to want to gobble up. It was perfect.

After an enjoyable ride home, I got to come home to my wonderful men and hear about all the fun they had down at the shore with my dad. I think their men's weekend was just as great for them, even if it does mean I now have plastic nun-chucks in the house.

4 comments:

Kara said...

Awe, I love reading about these meet-ups. I get to meet Steph in September at Warrior Dash Tennessee. We are in the 12:30 wave if you can make it. :)

Mel said...

What a fun weekend! Anything involving Dunkin Donuts has got to be a success! Sounds like it was really kind of good that you didn't do WD. More time to bond over donuts! Glad your boys had a good time while you were gone, too.

LauraC said...

I think my favorite part was you playing with your PvZ zen garden. This trip was great because there was no pressure to get the full back story because we are all REAL friends now. Thanks for a fun time!

Steph said...

Hi! Sorry it's taken so long for me to post a comment, not sure why I didn't the first time I read your re-cap of our fun trip! Thanks for being an awesome roommate and I'm glad I didn't wake you on the way out Sunday morning.

I promise no biohazards next trip!