Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weird Things

My life is weird, probably because I'm weird. I'm cool with that. But sometimes something weird stands out to me.

For example, the other day I was talking to my mom about things she needed me to pick up for her. She's not eating much after this 3rd round of chemo, so she didn't need any food. However, she did need me to pick up rat food for her pet rat. (The pet rat thing is NOT the weird thing in this.) As we are talking she tells me, "Make sure you buy the high quality rat food, not that cheap stuff from Wal-Mart. Ratzo doesn't like that. Make sure it has a mix of good stuff like seeds in it."

High quality rat food? I'm sure that Templeton from Charlotte's Web would be appalled!

Here's another one that I thought of yesterday while running before a rain storm. I wear glasses which can be a pain when I'm running. I hate if it starts to rain because then I end up with drips of water obscuring my view. One day I made a comment about this to Laura and she pointed out that I could wear a baseball cap.

It made me realize that I had never once in my life, despite the fact that Andy lives in baseball caps, considered baseball caps sports equipment. This huge light bulb went off over my head when I realized that the "baseball" portion of "baseball caps" actually meant something.

Do'h!

And the final weird thing I've noticed recently was when I was describing the Mud Run to some coworkers. "It was really hard, I ended up with mud up my nose, Andy almost drowned, I was frightened a few times. It was AWESOME."

And their response to such a crazy description? "We need to do that!"

Yep, weird.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Love the baseball cap one. Personally, I get too hot in a cap, but I love love love my visor with built-in sweat band. I have a HeadSweats Velocity visor that is branded for my running store. Link: http://www.headsweats.com/products/Velocity-Visor.html

Stacey said...

One of my student's favorite memories of 4th grade was when a student brought in his pet rat and I was surprised to see it was a fancy rat and not a New York City subway rat. And "even then she didn't particularly like it". He just thought this was hilarious.

Rats, mud, running in the rain. I wish I was brave like that.

Cacey said...

I'm pretty sure that I can only be friends with weird people, so I'm glad you're weird!