Monday, September 26, 2011

A Fresh Start

I know I've talked a bit about my mom's chemo treatments on my blog, but I never mentioned much about her radiation treatments. They certainly were not as hard on her as chemo was, but it's wasn't easy either. She wasn't sick, but the process left her exhausted. I don't think she realized just how tiring it would be, and was a bit disappointed when she realized she was too tired to do simple tasks like grocery shopping, or watching Michael for three hours. She was really looking forward to getting he life back after chemo, and the radiation treatments brought that to a screeching halt.

Her radiation treatments were scheduled for five days a week, for seven weeks. My mom complained that it was like having a job again. However, when she completed the treatments a week and a half ago, the nurses and technicians gave her a certificate and complemented her for being such a good patient. She really liked the people there, and she appreciated the certificate, even though she thought it was a little weird.

As a reward for her hard work, my sister took my mom down to visit my aunt and uncle in North Carolina for a week of vacation. While they were there, my sister convinced my mom to go out and buy a wig. Even though my mom's hair has started growing back in, I think this is a great idea. It's going to take some time for my mom's hair to grow in fully, so I'm happy that she has the wig to wear until she can go back to natural. It should help her feel more confident when she goes out.

While she was gone, I was responsible for feeding her cats and her pet fish. When I got over there and spent a little time around her apartment, I discovered just how far behind she was on her house cleaning. Things were pretty neat, but my mom has a long haired Maine Coon cat that sheds hair like a maniac and he had coated the entire apartment with a layer of long, fine hairs. So, on Saturday, before my mom returned, I went over and did some hardcore cleaning. Like get down on my hands and knees and scrub with the Magic Eraser kind of cleaning. I knew she would be worrying about coming home to a huge cleaning job, so it made me really happy to think of her walking in and discovering that the job she was dreading was already done.

So, here is to a fresh start for my mom. Chemo and radiation are over. She has a new head of "hair". And now, she can focus her returning energy on things that are more fulfilling than scrubbing cat fur off of the shower stall walls.

5 comments:

Karen said...

We used to have a Maine Coon and a Himalayan. Talk about ridiculous amounts of hair everywhere. I am sure your mom will appreciate the cleanup immensely!

Beth said...

That is so awesome, Joanna. Your mom totally deserves it, but you completely rock!

LauraC said...

SO GLAD your mom is done and you are a super great daughter.

Julie said...

Cheers to a fresh start for your mom!

claudia said...

I want to adopt you.