Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Death of a Gingerbread House

I'd like to take a moment and thank Mo Willems' Pigeon for making Michael's begging so very much more animated. What used to be limited to, "please, please, pretty please!" has now expanded to include coercion and flat out bribes. While many parents would find this annoying, I'm quite enjoying it. I love the expanded use of language and the creativity that Michael is bringing to his attempts to get me to do things I don't want to do. I also enjoy the absurdity of Michael trying to bribe me to buy a Matchbox car with a thousand dollars that he doesn't have. Especially when he does have the 97 cents to buy it himself!

Michael used his new found skills when he discovered a gingerbread house kit at the grocery store before Christmas. The kit looked easy and was on sale, so I decided to give in. Andy and I then spent the next five days explaining over and over that we would build the damn thing on Christmas Eve AND NOT ONE MINUTE SOONER! Followed with me kicking myself for giving in to him. It's all your fault Mo Willems!

On Christmas Eve, we finally opened the kit and put the house together. As far as kits go, it was probably the easiest kit I've ever used. Buy the time we were done, the house looked pretty decent. Michael was very proud.

"I can't wait until we get to eat it." He announced.

Oh. Michael didn't realize that just because gingerbread houses are edible, it doesn't actually mean you want to eat them. So, I tried to explain to him that they are more for decoration than for eating. He was disappointed that we wouldn't be having his gingerbread house for Christams desert.

"Mommy, if you don't eat them, what do you do with them?"

Ah, good question. And, thanks to Laura and her family's Gingerbread House Smashing Tradition, I had a good answer. Without missing a beat, I explained that you smash it. It turns out that the idea of smashing a gingerbread house is even more appealing to a five year old than eating it.

On one of the lazy days toward the end of winter break, I decided we needed to stir things up a little. So I pulled these out of the basement.

Photobucket

There is nothing like a rubber mallet to put a smile on a child's face. Michael hopped right up and was on it in a flash.

He was a little tentative at first.

Photobucket

But that didn't last long.
Photobucket

In fact, he discovered just how much fun smashing a gingerbread house could be!

Photobucket

It was about this point that one of my neighbors pulled up to say hello. I'm sure she drove off with a few questions on her mind.

It's small projects like this that remind me of just how persistent Michael really is. I suspect that most kids would take a couple of good whacks at the house and then wander off to find something else to bash with the mallet. Not Michael. Oh no. He was not going to be satisfied until he had completely obliterated that little candy house. So he stood out in the cold and eventually ended up dancing on the crumbs of his gingerbread house until they were dust.

Photobucket

Well, at least it made clean up easy. We simply swept up the crumbs and tossed them out back for the birds to eat. But, it does make me wonder about where this personality trait will lead us in the future.


5 comments:

LauraC said...

Alex smashes them like that too. We waited to smash them until Roxane is here this weekend.

JenFen said...

A blog post. with pictures. from you. Yeah! It is a happy day! It looks like Michael had a BLAST smashing the gingerbread house. My kids smash it until it is all candy bits and dust too and Jadyn just has to taste it no matter how stale we try to tell her it is. At least you made him wear safety goggles. As you saw, Jadyn didn't even have shoes on. Oops!

Deanna said...

He's thorough!! And the birdies appreciated the smaller crumbs. :)

Stacey said...

I love the pictures!

Do you have the "Don't Let the Pigeon Run this App" app?

Mel said...

I love it! You really captured his enthusiam! And Analese would also have plans to eat the gingerbread house for dessert. The child is cursed with a mad sweet tooth!