Friday, February 3, 2012

40 minus nothing, nada, zip, zilch

I turn 40 on Saturday. This is one of those big milestone birthdays. I'm entering a new decade. But, as far as milestone birthdays go, 40 is a lot less attractive than 21. If you think about it, it's the I'm no longer thirty something birthday. Which...um...yay?

A few years ago, I decided that I didn't want 40 to sneak up on me. So, instead of turning 38, I turned 40-2. Last year, I turned 40-1. What it's done, is made me think of myself as 40 for the past few years. It' eased me into the idea and let me get used to it. I've been reflecting on 40 for two years now, and instead of it sneaking up on me, I've decided to run up, grab it and give it a big hug and a huge sloppy kiss.

Because you know what? When I think about it, 40 is pretty awesome. At this point in my life, I'm blessed with a wonderful husband and an adorable little boy. This is MY family. It hasn't always been easy, but the time and energy that it takes to grow such a family is part of my 40 years, and it such a huge reward. It's the same with my career. Not only do I love my job, but I make more money than I've ever made before. It takes time to build something like that.

What I've realized about turning 40 is that it's not just a milestone that marks the continued aging of my body, it's a milestone of all of the work I have done to achieve my dreams. I admit, it is frustrating to deal with the changes in eyesight and energy that come with aging. However, having 40 years of experience to draw on and 40 years worth of accomplishments to enjoy pretty much rocks.

So welcome 40, come sit with me for a spell and we'll have a grand old time.

...And bring my reading glasses with you.

7 comments:

Beth said...

This will be me in 5 months. I have 5 whole months to NOT be 40. Woo-hoo! But really, we've been in our 40th year of life all year. Doesn't feel much different than my 30s. Except for the aches and pains when I get out of bed. Thus my need to exercise. But anyway, this about YOU! Thanks for the positive spin! With out kids starting elementary school, I think our 40s will definitely be a whole new phase for us. An awesome phase, no doubt. Hmmm, sorry to be so rambly. I guess that's what happens when you enter your 40th year! Happy almost-birthday!

Maria said...

Happy 40th!! I love birthdays for the very reasons you talk about. Also, I kind of love gray hair. There. I said it. I hope you get to.have an awesome weekend that includes sleeping in. Hay 40!

Carrie77 said...

"The 40's are the new 50's" - I bet you'll hear that a lot on your birthday. I don't know why but that phrase annoys me.. maybe its over said. I don't know. I like your meaning of being 40 much better, its symbolic of what you have accomplished in life thus far. And, to have found as much happiness at 40 in your family and career is awesome. Not everyone can say that at 40. :)

LauraC said...

YES. This is how I feel as I get closer to 40. Hitting my stride and life is pretty good.

So glad I get to celebrate with you this month!

Cacey said...

I will wish you a retro-active happy birthday in fourteen days!!

I realized yesterday I was already thinking of myself as being 27, I'm already mentally prepared to be closer to 30 than 20. EEk. I know, you have no sympathy for me.

Stacey said...

Happy birthday! Your positive attitude is awesome and wise. I'm sure you'll rock 40 as well as you rocked your 30s-- with intelligence, wit, and kindness.

Karen said...

40 used to seem so far away to me but it's really just right around the corner. I am actually enjoying life more as I get older and it sounds like you are too.

Happy 40th!